Best online route planner

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
Hiya!
Can anyone tell me what the best online route planner is these days please?
Maymyride seems full of adverts and I only get a really tiny window to plot (working on netbook so screen already pretty tiny). Bikehike - can't save routes although I found it quite easy to use. What the latest and greatest out there - FREE of course
Cheers all
Karen

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It's always been and still are bikeroutetoaster and bikehike
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I actually find straight Google Maps walking directions easiest. Far easiest for dragging the route around. For elevation and gpx download I use www.ridewithgps.com
  • Popette

i use bike hike for all of mine, and you can save routes

email me i will tell you how to do it

its dead simple
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    MapMyRide was pants I agree. but it has been 'refreshed' imo and is useable - well for me anyway - even using the training log functionality :shock:
    Any annoying ads getted zapped by using Mozilla, useful for other sites including, ahem
    BR
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    I use bikeroutetoaster with my 705. It works well on my PC, but when I send a TCX to my 705 it seems to put random 90deg diversions in every now and then with a straight line back on to the route. This creates a route that goes along two sides of a triangle, with the road as the third side, if you catch my drift. It is only over a 100m distance or so, so not really a problem but annoying.
    Anyone else experienced this, or know how to fix it?
  • boondog
    boondog Posts: 205
    I get that on ie8 and some routes, I think it thinks some roads are 1 way when they aren't. Plot the next point closer and it normally gets around it.
  • gpsBRM
    gpsBRM Posts: 123

2nd that, use it all the time, simple and easy, plus runs on my phone quite quickly. Use multimap if you wanna look at OS maps for bike routes etc
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917

BRT for me too.
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Before all the anti LA bods start posting, I use the Livestrong Loops one, only because it was the first one I came across.
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    I use www.gpsies.com as there is very little screen clutter (no ads etc), you can view loads of different maps (google, microsoft, OSM etc) and you can download in lot of different formats. Which makes it great for sharing with others as everyone has their own way of doing things.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    shazzz wrote:
    I use bikeroutetoaster with my 705. It works well on my PC, but when I send a TCX to my 705 it seems to put random 90deg diversions in every now and then with a straight line back on to the route. This creates a route that goes along two sides of a triangle, with the road as the third side, if you catch my drift. It is only over a 100m distance or so, so not really a problem but annoying.

I know BRT says otherwise at the download section but the 705 works better with gpx.
    Maybe the 705 differs from other Garmin products.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 wrote:

BRT for me too although occasionally GPSIES as well..
  • sampras38
    daviesee wrote:
    shazzz wrote:

I know BRT says otherwise at the download section but the 705 works better with gpx.

Is that right?

I've always just gone with what the site recommends and used TCX, although it might explain why some routes I've plotted have gone a bit wobbly.
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    sampras38 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    shazzz wrote:

Is that right?

I've always just gone with what the site recommends and used TCX, although it might explain why some routes I've plotted have gone a bit wobbly.
    That's interesting - better how?
  • This creates a route that goes along two sides of a triangle, with the road as the third side, if you catch my drift. It is only over a 100m distance or so, so not really a problem but annoying.
    I found that this happens if you tick the box that says "add turning point warnings" get rid of that and it works OK. You just have to watch the 705, sometimes not a good idea! It might also help if you use the same BRT data and maps on the 705, ie OSM for both.
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    shazzz wrote:

Is it easy enough to download the route to your garmin?

Ive an Edge 305, so it doesnt do maps, but you can still put a route on it and follow directions if you get me
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Moaner wrote:

Is that right?

That's interesting - better how?[/quote]

Better in that it may avoid the diversions? Maybe?

From Page 11 of the 705 manual:-

Saved Rides.....
    Note: Track or route files must be saved with the *.gpx extension.

That, and the fact that it works is enough for me.............
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Saving routes/tracks as tcx or gpx does affect how they work - I think. They certainly get saved in different files within the 705.

I believe tcx gives you 'courses' which you can use as a training aid - set a speed to ride against etc. I don't think it gives as many warnings of the turns coming up.

gpx gives 2 warnings of junctions and I think is better for general route planning. On Bikehike I use gpx tracks and it seems fine.

The Garmin forums (is it still bikely?) have loads of info about it all. I know I've barely scratched the surface of what the 705 can do, but I've figured out all I need to know.