Beginner trails in Wales? (South or Mid)

french_teapot
french_teapot Posts: 3
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any beginner mountain biking trails in South Wales or maybe mid Wales?

I had my first attempt at mountain biking last summer when a friend took me to Afan Forest to do the Wall Trail. Unfortunately this scared me to death!! ...and put me off for a while...

I am hoping there might be some slightly easier, less scary places to go mountain biking?

Rachel

Comments

• ianrams
    ianrams Posts: 51
    Rachel

Brechfa Green/Blue is a great starter course which I take my 11 year old to. Not too easy, with berms, hippy hops, small table tops but everything is scaled down. Takes 1 to 1.5 hours to cover the 10 miles.

Well worth a look.

Ian
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 2009
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    There's some good riding around Castell Coch near Cardiff. You don't have to go to trail centres to get a good ride. Esp for beginners or (like myself) of limited technical competence.
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    Dgh wrote:
    There's some good riding around Castell Coch near Cardiff. You don't have to go to trail centres to get a good ride. Esp for beginners or (like myself) of limited technical competence.

+1

But where abouts in wales are you based? you can join the taff trail in cardiff which takes you up to castell coch and there are some good roots through there to get you started. :D
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • Thanks for the replies! :) Brechfa sounds promising! I will look it up.

I live in Cardiff very close to the Taff Trail so Castle Coch would be perfect as well. I have cycled up the Taff Trail many times but am not sure where to go to find the offroad routes? Are there any links or maps available?

Non-trail centres actually sounds slightly more exciting maybe... :)
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    There's some nice riding to be had around the Gower and there's plenty of stuff around the Brecon Beacons.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any beginner mountain biking trails in South Wales or maybe mid Wales?

I had my first attempt at mountain biking last summer when a friend took me to Afan Forest to do the Wall Trail. Unfortunately this scared me to death!! ...and put me off for a while...

I am hoping there might be some slightly easier, less scary places to go mountain biking?

Rachel

I did that to one of my mates, put him on a bike that kind of fitted him and let him go on one of the faster trails at Swinley Forest... Lets say he didn't like it much.

As for easy trails Green trails are good because they are pretty smooth, yet still have technical corners, berms ect. which are great fun when you ride them really fast.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    I found this link not sure how good it is as i can't see the map in work only the description.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... ESCRIPTION
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    not quite south wales, but the Fodca in the forest of dean is IDEAL :D
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.