Hire Bike - Mojacar, Almeria, Spain

alesupper
alesupper Posts: 286
edited August 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hi Folks

I am off to Mojacar in few days time and wondered if anyone knew of somewhere in that area where I could hire a road bike?

Cheers.

Comments

• megilleland
    megilleland Posts: 786
    There is nothing listed in the Spanish Yellow Pages for Mojacar. All the bike hire shops (12) are in Almeria. The nearest to Mojacar is Garrucha - La Bici. You could try the local hotels, but I don't think you will get a road bike.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • alesupper
    Which yellow pages website did you use? Could you give me the url (web address) please?
  • megilleland
    megilleland Posts: 786
    Here are the bike hire entries for Almeria province.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • alesupper
    Muchas gracias
  • alesupper
    La Bici in Garrucha closed 12 months ago unfortunately so I wondered if annyone else new of a bike hire shop in that area? There are plenty in Almeria but that is a fair drive from where we are staying.

Cheers
  • ringo42
    ringo42 Posts: 21
    Try "Rockroadnsurf", they've got there own website as well as facebook page. Grant who owns it is a really friendly guy who has sorted me out on my last few visits. He's got a few high end bikes for hire. They've only been there a year but can't recommend them enough. Where are you staying by the way?

Phil
  • alesupper
    Nice one ringo42, I went along to see Grant (who's shop was about 1 mile away from our apartment) and he sorted me out with a lovely carbon S-Works Tarmac bike, shorts, jersey, helmet, shoes and a bottle. As you said he is very friendly and helpful and I would also recommend him.

http://www.rockroadnsurfadventures.com/contactus.php

A word of warning to anyone else who might try to find the Rock Road N Surf shop in the future. Grant was telling me that he intends to stop using the shop for selling bikes and accessories and he intends to expand his gym (Harmony Gym) into the shop. Grant said that he will still continue to rent out bikes though from the gym. Personally I think Grant is missing a trick here because there are very few other bike shops in the area and his gym is already very large so I'm not sure why he is doing this? If I were him I would keep the bike shop going as cycling is groing in popularity across the globe at the moment. Just my 2p's worth ;-)

Thanks again
    Alsupper
  • Hi Guys

The shop as it is will close but bike hire will continue from the gym (Indigo Gym) not Harmony. And I will still have full workshop facilities on site with a full spares package available, I will just not be stocking bikes any more but will still order in for my customers. We are expanding our hire bikes to include touring bikes and full suspension mountain bikes including carbon MTB bikes.

We have built up a reputation for supplying high end bikes at very reasonable prices with great customer service and we wish to continue this for our existing customers and future ones. Its more of a hobby than a business for me and I hope that reflex in the way we help everyone whatever there need.

Grant 0034634320360

www.rockroadnsurfadventures.com www.indigogimnasio.com
  • Morning All

Very last minute question... I'm off to Mojacar tomorrow morning and just stuffed the racer into a box and into the back of the car at the last second so the wife can't argue. So... I've found a couple of routes that I can bash out in a few hours of a morning (Cabronas road, for example) but would be great if anyone else was around for a trip or knew if Grant's gym (above post) is still around? Have tried to call without luck.

Any other tips, suggestions, etc? Anyone ever find a good local hire/bike shop?
  • garyspain
    garyspain Posts: 105
    Saw a bike shop/hire place on the main road through Turre, just outside Mojacar, recently. Probably a bit late and no use to you this time, but maybe useful for the future. They had road and mountain bikes.

Sarah
    PS Mind out round Alfaix, they've totally closed a road we use on our tour and it's now a lairy dirt track. No way round apart from a shuttle of clients and bikes along the motorway in the truck!
  • I know this is an old post but I'm out in this area next week and looking to get a bike.
    Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks
  • I know this is an old thread; but having just returned from Mojacar,
    I thought I'd share my experience.

'Doltcini Mojacar' sorted me out admirably, they can be found at:
    Paseo del Mediterraneo 124,
    04638 Mojacar Playa.
    Tel: 950 092 600 / 671 392 051
    Web: http://www.doltcini.es

Cost: €24 per day (€14 hire + €10 insurance) + €90 refundable deposit.

Road Bikes: 'Trek Domane 2.0'
    Hybrid: 'Trek 7.1'

ENJOY! :D
  • Cheers for that. So that's another place to add to the list of Spanish places that hire bikes!

Did you cycle in Cabo de Gata at all?

Was in that region earlier this year and saw a few local roadies about. Looked like a good place to ride.
  • No not this time; was on the hybrid with the Mrs.
    So stuck to the coastal route north of Mojacar

Saw a few roadies in the region though; Spanish & English,
    will have to take a road bike out next time.

The guy in Doltcini is French and his Mrs. Is Spanish and both speak little English
    So that was interesting :) but we got by. Nice guy though, I spent a few quid in
    the shop and he gave me cycling jersey for gratis, result!
    And gave me
  • Go and see Matthew at Agulia Bike (Cannondale, BMC) on the road from garrucha to Villiarcos....

They have road and mbt hire. daily and weekly rates. 0034 950 133 063
    Great shop and service.

AGUILA BIKE. LAS BUGANVILLAS (VERA)
    Ctra. Garrucha - Villaricos (VERA) Tlno. 950 133 063
  • My mother and father in law run a bar in Mojacar and they have said that a lot of the pro teams are now using Mojacar as a base for their winter training rides.

I follow Laurens Ten Dam on Strava and he posted a load of rides that he and the Blanco team did from Mojacar, in January this year (link below).

http://www.strava.com/pros/186522#inter ... r_offset=0

I know that Nett App Endura were out there too last year.

I'm going to hire a bike, next time I'm there.
  • russkev
    russkev Posts: 1
    Hi

Sorry to open this up again !

I am travelling out to the Garrucha area of Spain at the start of September and planning on getting some cycling in. I call Aguila Cycles but it seems Matthew doesnt work there anymore. What I didn't get was an email address for the shop - anyone have one please ?

So keen to hire a Road bike and get out for some rides. Does anyone have any good routes that I can use whilst I'm out there please ? I do a few Sportive's a year so reasonably experienced but not particularly fast or experienced. Are there any books ?

Thanks

Kevin
  • Holy thread resurrection !!!

Thanks for the recommendations above - have contacted Doltcini and they can sort me out with a bike next Thursday for a week - we will be based in Mojacar so has anyone any good three to four hour routes that take in some big hills - have got the Cingles de Ventoux challenge on the 13th / 14th September so need some decent elevation :D:D

Cheers

MW
  • garyspain
    garyspain Posts: 105
    Hi
    Here's a couple from our March tour
    http://app.strava.com/activities/125898210
    http://app.strava.com/activities/125898297
    And 1 I know is a great route but don't have it on Strava so did it myself!
    http://app.strava.com/routes/792394

Have fun!
    Sarah
  • thompaj
    thompaj Posts: 1
    russkev wrote:
    Hi

Sorry to open this up again !

I am travelling out to the Garrucha area of Spain at the start of September and planning on getting some cycling in. I call Aguila Cycles but it seems Matthew doesnt work there anymore. What I didn't get was an email address for the shop - anyone have one please ?

So keen to hire a Road bike and get out for some rides. Does anyone have any good routes that I can use whilst I'm out there please ? I do a few Sportive's a year so reasonably experienced but not particularly fast or experienced. Are there any books ?

Thanks

Kevin

I've just returned from a week staying near Vera/Garrucha and hired a road bike from Aguila Bike. I was very pleased with the service from Jon (English speaker) at Aguila and they even gave me a discount as I hired it for 5 days.

Interestingly Matthew (English guy) who used to work in Aguila Bike has just opened his own cycle shop called Weekend Sport right next door to Aguila Bike! He's a Specialized dealer but also offers Focus and Cannondale MTB & Road bikes for rental.

Here are the contact details for Aguila Bike & Weekend Sport:

Both shops located at:
    Ctra. Garrucha-Villaricos
    Ronda de las Buganvillas
    04621 Vera Playa

Aguila Bike: http://www.aguilabike.com/english/index.html
    Email: info@aguilabike.com
    Tel: (+34) 950 133 063
    Jon speaks good English and looked after me well.

Weekend Sport: Website still in development but should launch in next few weeks.
    Email: weekendsport14@gmail.com
    Tel: (+34) 950 460 738
    Matthew (English owner) just opened up in July 2014 and aiming to grow the bike rental side of the business. Also planning to arrange group rides and eventually organised training camps.

The riding in the area is superb. Hills and mountains if you want a challenge or stick to the coast where its flat to rolling. The roads are mostly quiet, smooth tarmac and the scenery is breathtaking. Can't recommend it enough!
  • alesupper
    Nice one, thanks for the info.