Kona CinderCone - Need to replace the chainset

webkey
webkey Posts: 3
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Morning everyone,

After borrowing my friends bike for a couple of off-roads, I have now bought my first MTB, a used 2009 Kona CinderCone.

It came from a road biker so he had replaced the original chainset to meet his speed demands, I believe that means its got a larger front cog(?) than usual, so I don't have access to the lower front (granny?) cog when riding so apparenly I need to put the correct sized chainset back on to get to those gears needed for the big hills!

I'm not in the game to do this myself so thinking of using one of the bike shops in Sheffield, a new one called Edinburghs has just opened or another?

Just looking for good advice on a good chainset to buy, likely cost etc, anything of use really.

Excuse my newness if this is a daft question!

Thanks in advance,

Webkey.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to identify what bottom bracket the bike has if you don't plan on replacing that also.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shimano's SLX is a good, dependable chainset at a reasonable price.
    Very hard to beat Shimano's Hollowtech II chainsets at the moment.
    But, like sonic says, check what bottom bracket the bike currently has, since the SLX may not fit what's on there, meaning you'd need to get a new one.
  • webkey
    webkey Posts: 3
    Hi there,

Okay, reading the spec of the bike, it looks like he has replaced the outer ring of the original FSA Alpha Drive chainset with a Shimano Deore Chainring Outer M510 so I guess my first question is can I simply replace that outer with what was on their originally, is that how this works, sorry if I am showing my ignorance here!

If not, waiting to hear if the guy kept the original parts, I guess just buying another FSA Alpha Drive chainset is a good start? Or maybe another chainset as mentioned (the bottom bracket is a FSA Powerdrive by the way)

I noticed he also replaced the Shimano Deore (11-32 tooth range, 9 speed) cassette with SRAM PG950 Cassette 9sp, can I leave that alone re all above or would that need looking at?

Cheers,

Webkey
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    You should be able to leave the Cassette allone, Sram PG950's come in 11-32 or 11-34, so even if he has repaced it with the 11-34 one it just means you will have a lower gear....