Thinking of getting a Road bike

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I've had my Hybrid since April and I want to go faster.

My employer is finally restarting the cycle to work scheme for just 3 weeks starting Monday and I am thinking of getting one of these.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_759101_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

Yes, I have to get the bike from Halfords.

I'll keep the Subway for winter and when I want to lug stuff to and from work.

Discuss......
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• Also, would this one be much better for £50 more?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... PDPz1#dtab
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Mynameisdann
    Mynameisdann Posts: 665
    You havent posted a link with that second post mate

Nevermind o.0
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Check out the limited edition TDF (yellow) one, apparently it is a £450 spec bike being flogged for £299.

PS. I know nothing about road bikes, I just read an article about it on here somewhere.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • PaulBox wrote:
    Check out the limited edition TDF (yellow) one, apparently it is a £450 spec bike being flogged for £299.

PS. I know nothing about road bikes, I just read an article about it on here somewhere.

That's the one I'm thinking of. I'll do a search for the article. :wink:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203

Oh yes, sorry I only checked the second link... :oops:

Here's the article: http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/halfords-selling-300-tour-de-france-special-26886

I think, if I read it correctly, it should be better than the blue one, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows what they're talking about...
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • PaulBox wrote:

Oh yes, sorry I only checked the second link... :oops:

Here's the article: http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/halfords-selling-300-tour-de-france-special-26886

I think, if I read it correctly, it should be better than the blue one, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows what they're talking about...

Thanks for posting the link. I couldn't find it.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,185
    What's your budget ZD? If you can stretch to a Boardman roadie I know they are a good choice (from £699).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Go for the full whack, £1000.00!

Ends up costing £40 a month for 12 months.

Not maxing the scheme out is a waste.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    What's your budget ZD? If you can stretch to a Boardman roadie I know they are a good choice (from £699).

I'd rather stay in the £300ish range if this bike is not up to much I will just stick with my hybrid.

I won't notice the payments (£14.68) and next summer, if I have kept cycling through the winter, I will have the option of selling my two bikes and upgrading to something like a Boardman.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I'd rather stay in the £300ish range if this bike is not up to much I will just stick with my hybrid.

I won't notice the payments (£14.68) and next summer, if I have kept cycling through the winter, I will have the option of selling my two bikes and upgrading to something like a Boardman.
    If you're only going to keep it for a year, dig into the piggy banks and go for the Boardman now. IMO you need to spend the right side of £500 to get something decent and if you're getting it on cyclescheme, all the more reason to stretch to the best you can afford (I practice what I preach on this) :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • I know what you mean but I haven't ridden a road bike apart from when I road my brothers one in the 80s when it was far too big for me.

If I get this one and I end up sticking to my hybrid then it's no big deal. If I get it and love it then I can throw money at a Boardman next time.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I have a virtuosso and for the price it is a cracking bike, if you can get a tdf for £300 go for it.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,356
    I know what you mean but I haven't ridden a road bike apart from when I road my brothers one in the 80s when it was far too big for me.

If I get this one and I end up sticking to my hybrid then it's no big deal. If I get it and love it then I can throw money at a Boardman next time.

If you can afford it you should go the extra for the Boardman

It's just a better bike

If you can't afford it I think you should just stick with the Subway, it'll see you rightly through the winter months and you could reassess the situation in the spring.

I'm not meaning to patronise as I know what it's like to be tight for cash and a tenner here or there can make a big difference
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Also I think a £1000 Carbon Boardman may crumble under my weight :lol:

I'm thinking of getting this bike also because I went for a long divert home the other day and it got windy and hilly. The sit up and beg position on a hybrid, when your differently sized, causes you to really slow down.

I also have a new, not hilly, favourite route home and its more road based. The top speed I have got out of the Subway 1 is 27mph and I do feel the need for speed.

Oh and the only people who overtake me these days are people on Road bikes. One had the decency to hang back behind me on Tuesday to make me think I was doing well keeping a steady 16.7 mph.. until he got bored and left me for dust.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Stevo_666
    Also I think a £1000 Carbon Boardman may crumble under my weight :lol:
    Bo11ox - you're looking for excuse not to buy it now :) You know you want one....
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Also I think a £1000 Carbon Boardman may crumble under my weight :lol:
    Bo11ox - you're looking for excuse not to buy it now :) You know you want one....

£40 a month.

1232468628729-12ndlixje1t4m-850-65.jpg

£40 a month.

It'll be the best thing you've ever bought.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Love the phrase " differently sized", I might use that to correct people when they call me "barrel chest"!!
    I would love that carbon boardman but my c2w only goes up to £500 :(
  • I had a look at the Carerra and the £699 Boardman today. The Carerra is nice and comfortable but it does weigh noticeably more than the lovely Boardman.

What to do?..... hmmmmm
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • dugliss
    You know what to do, gotta go with the Stan
  • dugliss wrote:
    You know what to do, gotta go with the Stan

It was significantly more lovely. I did a 20 mile ride in the blazing sun today and Had to climb two nasty hills. I'm sure either bike would have done them easier than my Subway.

Also I think Stevo 666 will find me and hit me if I get the Carrera Roadie. :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    I have a mate with the tdf, and he really likes it. He had a strict budget at the time. That said, I look at the boardman, and it sure is preddy!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ravinder15
    Ravinder15 Posts: 42
    I'm also thinking of getting the Boardman Bike but am not looking forward to being served by my local Halfords Bike Hut Divs. Pound for Pound though it's probably the best bike you can buy under £700 I think?

Rav
  • I had another look at that £700 Boardman and I can't not have it. I also spoke to the chap in a different Halfords to the one I got my Subway from and he went over all the components with me, such as the hollow crank hub thingy (I forget exactly what he said, it sounded good though)

He clearly knows his way around a bike so I am hoping they will do a better job of setting it up.

I'm applying for the cycle to work voucher in a mo.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Right. thats applied for.

It will have cost me £411 thanks to the tax perks plus the final payment to my employer, whatever that is. Knowing my employer It will be £288 :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Good job, you'll love it :)

Edit: Wow, just noticed the Boardman Team Carbon is up to £1200. Glad I got mine 6 weeks ago at £999.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:
    Good job, you'll love it :)

Edit: Wow, just noticed the Boardman Team Carbon is up to £1200. Glad I got mine 6 weeks ago at £999.

I'll get one of them next year.

I'm not feeling nervous or second thoughts about applying for £400 more than my planned spend so I clearly made the right decision.

The tiny bald tyres scare me a bit. There are no end of thorny, needley things on my commute to work but the Halfords chap said the 100PSi tyres are pretty tough.

Are the pedals OK? They look small and I have big flat wide feet, like a Hobbit.

The Halfords is 20 miles from my house so I will get a lift there and ride the bike home. 8)

I'm rambling now :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • dugliss
    My final payment was about £25 on a £500 voucher so yours won`t be much more. You`re doing the right thing, Stan`s the man and I would get that bike if I could
  • dugliss wrote:
    My final payment was about £25 on a £500 voucher so yours won`t be much more. You`re doing the right thing, Stan`s the man and I would get that bike if I could

Thanks for the info. It will make me worry less.... I worry too much..... I'm like a fat, non-Jewish Woody Allen.

Of course because this is a bike worth knicking I will have to carry a massive heavy lock around with me, negating the weight saving over the Carrerra. DOH!
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • dugliss
    Just use the subway on the days when you have to leave it anywhere even slightly dodgy. I`ve got a boardman hybrid and I never leave it anywhere