Bike hook

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I need to get my bike out of the way so was going to get one of those hooks to stand the bike vertically (one like this).

Has anyone used one of these. Would it be suitable to hold a road bike without damaging it.

Comments

• We have 4 of the following at work, used with road bikes.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/LifeLine_Wall_Rack/5360026439/

They work really well and I prefer storing my road bike on the holder.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Yep - my LBS has loads of these for storing bikes in the workshop, before and after service.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • thedirge
    thedirge Posts: 181
    would hanging a bike with shock forks be alright? Just thinking oil not in the right place.
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    We have 4 of the following at work, used with road bikes.

Got one of these from Evans though mine was silver and probably sold under a different brand. Does the job but I haven't asked the landlady if it was OK to drill into the wall :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pidism
    pidism Posts: 32
    I have used hooks like this for a few years hanging bikes in my garage. Get 2 for approx £3 from the local Orange coloured diy store!
    Hang a Trek road bike easily - no damage what so ever.
    Also hung a rather heavy MTB for a while, no damage.

Cheap/ Robust - Just make sure you get the hook directly into a wooden joist.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    If you have expensive rims (carbon even) then wrap some foam around the hook to protect the wheel. I think from what others have said online before that some people measure up so that the rear wheel remains on the deck.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    downfader wrote:
    If you have expensive rims (carbon even) then wrap some foam around the hook to protect the wheel. I think from what others have said online before that some people measure up so that the rear wheel remains on the deck.
    I thought that's how they were supposed to be set up, hook holding one wheel with the other still on the ground.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    suzyb wrote:
    downfader wrote:
    I thought that's how they were supposed to be set up, hook holding one wheel with the other still on the ground.

True, but sometime you see a pic on a blog or flickr that shows them used otherwise. :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    thedirge wrote:
    would hanging a bike with shock forks be alright? Just thinking oil not in the right place.

fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    redvee wrote:
    We have 4 of the following at work, used with road bikes.

Got one of these from Evans though mine was silver and probably sold under a different brand. Does the job but I haven't asked the landlady if it was OK to drill into the wall :oops:

img0751z.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown