Afan Newbie

brady10
brady10 Posts: 195
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Hello all, Going to Afan for the first time on sunday. Ive got a pretty solid hardtail with a good spec, im a pretty competent rider, Which trails would you recommend? Im looking for the most technical trail that wont break my bike in two =)
WOW really? Carbon Fibre Hubs?? Well how about chucking that kebab in the bin?

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Whites Level?

Nice technical climb and lovely downs 8)
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • I've only done White's Level and Skyline, but I enjoyed White's the best.
  • brady10
    brady10 Posts: 195
    Are the Descents on said trail built ideally for a full sus?
    WOW really? Carbon Fibre Hubs?? Well how about chucking that kebab in the bin?
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    brady10 wrote:
    Are the Descents on said trail built ideally for a full sus?

I ride a full suss but I have seen guys on hardtails - I don't see why it would be a problem :D

Penhydd is also really nice and flowy - would also recommend that one. And you must go the cafe at the Whites Level side, fab food!!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Last time I was there we had 2 guys on XC race hardtails, they were fine. There's nothing particularly technical there. White's Level is good, turn it into W2 to make it a longer ride. The joining ride between Whites and the Wall is pretty dull though!
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    miss notax wrote:
    Penhydd is also really nice and flowy - would also recommend that one. And you must go the cafe at the Whites Level side, fab food!!

Penhydd is still closed at the moment as far as I know. If you're ok with the distance then W2 is great - as miss notax says, start at the Afan Forest Park end and you can have lunch at Glyncorrwg, which is much nicer.

You'll be fine on all of the trails with a hardtail
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    it's fine on a hardtail. even the black run.

just remember to turn off your fork lockout before you try it... :oops:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    M1llh0use wrote:
    it's fine on a hardtail. even the black run.

just remember to turn off your fork lockout before you try it... :oops:

+1 potato!

Whole of Whites Level decent with ETA on so only 30mm of not too plush travel.

I've only ever done Afan (or any of the trail centres) on a hardtail - Cove Handjob with 100mm forks - absolutely no problem. You don't need FS for any English or Welsh trail centre.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    You don't really need FS anywhere, it's often quicker/more comfortable.

Similarly plenty of people have ridden Afan on a rigid SS, but gears and a bouncy fork make it more enjoyable ;-)
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    njee20 wrote:
    You don't really need FS anywhere, it's often quicker/more comfortable.

Similarly plenty of people have ridden Afan on a rigid SS, but gears and a bouncy fork make it more enjoyable ;-)

bith times i've been there with my lungs hanging out at the top of whites there's been a guy on a singlespeed that's flown up and onward through to windy point!!

always makes me feel unfit!! :oops:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • njee20
    I can do a lap of White's in the big ring, the nice thing about that climb is that it's gradual, better than the crap fireroads on Penhydd/the Wall!
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    Done w2 yesterday starting at afan end, think I done it wrong way as I find whites decent more fun than the walls. The fireroad climb is bloody tedious but an ok way to begin and warm up on though.