[OT]: London to Beach?

Dav3m
Dav3m Posts: 84
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

Had a good idea to make the most of the good weather and to ride from London (SW) to a beach. The obvious one is Brighton, but that's likely to be packed. Anyone know of any good routes to perhaps some quieter areas?

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Subscribed :!:

Afraid I only know good beaches in Dorset but that's a bit far for most.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Hayling Island is a decent spot. Quite a lot of beach and a bit more out of the way so likely to be quieter than Brighton.

Are you thinking of doing it all by bike? Even Brighton and back is a bit hard-core!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Depends what kind of beach you want. Wild and remote? Try Dungeness, or Camber Sands near Rye. A bit more seasidey? What about Eastbourne? Something in between? Normans Bay?

The railway line runs along this part of the coast, heading East out of Brighton, so it's quite accessible (assuming you might not want to ride all the way back as well).

Heading West, you've got Worthing, Littlehampton and Bognor, then a bit more remote are East and West Wittering, but definitely a bit far to ride there and back (over 60 miles to West Wittering).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I think you'll be lucky to find a quiet beach anywhere in the UK this weekend.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    PaulBox wrote:
    I think you'll be lucky to find a quiet beach anywhere in the UK this weekend.

Beaches up near Rothbury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know Rothbury is not that near a beach
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    Camber Sands are pretty quiet once you get beyond the 200m stretch just by the car park.

If you'd like a route, PM me with your email address.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Goring-by-Sea beach - next to Worthing. Is a good old seasidey place. They'll be folks there - but not huge amounts. Get down to the beach and go west to get to a really good beachfront cafe (old dears with tea and cake and kids running about with ZOOM lollies.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=&q=BN12+4HR&rlz=1B5GGGL_enGB301GB302&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Worthing,+West+Sussex+BN12+4HR&gl=uk&ei=wSY3TJHxLouM0gThtsTsDw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

The A29 & A284 may be a good way to go - though I've never take a cycle down there. The A24 may be a bit too busy.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    If you want a tip though - I can let you know where they'll be huge, empty white sand beaches - with hardly a soul about. From London it'll be a 2 hours train ride and a 30 mile cycle though....

Shhhh.......