Upset a roadie today

Mr Smooth
Mr Smooth Posts: 70
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Upset a women on her road bike this am.
Mrs S and I were chugging up the hill past the hospital when she went past. For Mrs S, being overtaken by another woman is simply not acceptable! even if we were on our tourers! So off she goes and I tuck in behind. We soon catch this woman up and I'm content just to sit on her wheel, point made. But Mrs S has to overtake - just before the woman turned off. I said 'sorry, just had to do that' but she replied 'it was very childish' - which may be true, but no need to get so upset about it! Mrs S reckons it was my comments that upset her, not her doing the overtake 10m before she turned off.

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Well it depends who you're talking as to why she was upset

Overtaking then turning off immediately is poor form imo

It only proves you can put the hammer down for a short period of time
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    CP didn't read it, to me it reads that the target pulled off not Mr and Mrs Smooth....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dreamlx10
    dreamlx10 Posts: 235
    when she went past.

Did she say anything when she went past ? If not then she has put a wheel on you, and is fair game !
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Mr Smooth wrote:
    'it was very childish'

I'd take that as a compliment.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Yeah but people tend to slow down when they are turning, so it was a cheap scalp and it sounds like they were trying to provoke her. Feck off would have been a more appropriate response.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Clever Pun wrote:

Absolutely, likewise if the scalpee turns off they haven't really had their right to reply.

My last stretch on the commute is a couple of miles from Finchley to Barnet and I feel bad if I pass in the last mile or so because they don't get a proper chance to come back.

Scalps are only proper scalps if they respond, even though every single orther bike on the road becomes a target from the moment you see it in the distance to the moment you go by.
  • Clever Pun
    CP didn't read it, to me it reads that the target pulled off not Mr and Mrs Smooth....

Simon

Yeah I see that but then why would Mr S be talking to said lady is she's turned off.. little confusing imo and why would the turner even notice or bother????

my point about overtaking and turning off is valid though if not in this case
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Still not reading it are you, Mrs S (and then Mr S) overtook just before she turned off....so the overtake and conversation took place and THEN the target turned off, its really really really not that hard!

:lol: I guess you have a GCSE in English not an O-level (I'll get my coat!) :D

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mr Smooth
    Mr Smooth Posts: 70
    Simon - you've got it.
    Mrs S overtook, then it was clear the target was turning right, so I pulled alongside on the inside and spoke to her.

She'd obviously seen us ahead and chosen to overtake us, so I think she's fair game, although I don't think overtaking her was really necessary. But then Mrs S is much more competetive than me (perhaps that's why I'm the one with the waxed legs!)
  • Woolfie
    Woolfie Posts: 34
    Sounds like your mrs dropped you and you felt the need to speak to the rider to come up with some excuse :wink:
    Bakewell Toybox
    Bakewell
    Derbyshire

www.welovetoys.co.uk
  • I can't believe I'm wasting the time to write something in this lame thread but here goes. It was nothing, stop worrying about it.

"She'd obviously seen us ahead and chosen to overtake us"

No! She was going faster than you anyway and it was natural to overtake, she didn't make a special effort - unlike your Mrs.

God, I must be bored.
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    I thought this thread was a call to arms, to go out there and upset a roadie today.

Tourer riders, we have nothing to lose but our sandals..
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    He has given as a sandal! It is a sign! We must follow the sandal!
  • Clever Pun
    Still not reading it are you, Mrs S (and then Mr S) overtook just before she turned off....so the overtake and conversation took place and THEN the target turned off, its really really really not that hard!

:lol: I guess you have a GCSE in English not an O-level (I'll get my coat!) :D

Simon

but why even say anything? unless Mrs S shoulder barged through I just don't see the issue

bugger off :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • I upset a roadie when I said Status Quo are called that cos when they started everything was in Latin.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I can't believe I'm wasting the time to write something in this lame thread but here goes. It was nothing, stop worrying about it.

"She'd obviously seen us ahead and chosen to overtake us"

No! She was going faster than you anyway and it was natural to overtake, she didn't make a special effort - unlike your Mrs.

God, I must be bored.

This.

If you have to speed up to overtake, then you don't deserve to overtake.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'm so confused.
    I think you had to be there.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Ben6899 wrote:
    If you have to speed up to overtake, then you don't deserve to overtake.

wow you need to deserve to over take on a bike?
    If im over takeing i often speed up so that i can over take faster making the move less risky and inconviniant for other road users.

TBH sounds like the OP has managed to upset a few more rodies and confuse even more :lol:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I find it generally annoying to breeze past someone then find them like a limpet on my wheel some time later pretending to be Lance Armstrong, but sweatier.

I also find it annoying when someone buries themselves to catch you up, wheel sucks and/or overtakes you and proceeds slower than I was going in the first place (on account of having buried themselves to be "faster than me if they wanted to").

I'm just going to work, or going home. Really, I don't want to race.

Tell me, when a Ferrari overtakes you doing 75 on the motorway, do you tailgate just to demonstrate that a Mondeo can go that fast if it wants to?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    I find it generally annoying to breeze past someone then find them like a limpet on my wheel some time later pretending to be Lance Armstrong, but sweatier.

I also find it annoying when someone buries themselves to catch you up, wheel sucks and/or overtakes you and proceeds slower than I was going in the first place (on account of having buried themselves to be "faster than me if they wanted to").

I'm just going to work, or going home. Really, I don't want to race.

Tell me, when a Ferrari overtakes you doing 75 on the motorway, do you tailgate just to demonstrate that a Mondeo can go that fast if it wants to?

That's too bad. I do :twisted:

Although not today, it is stupidly hot.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    If you really want to upset someone, overtake a time trialist. Extra points if you've panniers at the time :oops:
  • WesternWay wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Absolutely, likewise if the scalpee turns off they haven't really had their right to reply.

Agreed

Scalps are only proper scalps if they respond,

Well, not quite. If they don't respond on account of they can see by your rippling physique and blinding turn of speed that any response of theirs would be utterly futile...that's a scalp, no?
    "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."