Should've introduced meself before wading in ;)

willy_1977
willy_1977 Posts: 7
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,

Waded in on another thread about saving weight on a bike, so thought it high time to say hello.

Lurked for a while - thought it about time to start giving back (whether it's wanted or not ;)) read through the beginners bits and bobs

Got back on the bike around feb/march this year 17years or so after riding my raleigh 5 speed racer it was fast coz it was red and I was a whole heap lighter! Anyhow I'm getting OT that was a month or so before the first tri - so that's done and have got the cycling bug from somewhere.

I now commute to work by bike 13miles (Hednesford - Wolverhampton) each way 3 days a week all roads I'm on the Gary Fisher Rail Super bike which is awesome - IMHO, but I would say that wouldn't I - but I'd rather save that for best. At the moment I end up carying quite a lot of weight on my back which I'm not really getting on with - I have to carry stuff to/from work each day in case I get sent somewhere other than the office the next day. It's on my back as there are no rack attachments and also looking at the clearance mudguards will be an issue later in the year. So , I aim to get something with flats on which will allow rack and mudguards so am looking around for a winter hack or rather something to do the daily grind year round even if I end up buying something off fleabay and having to do a major service looked at some SS bikes but just have no experience with them and wonder if I'd miss the gears on climbs etc.

Just took over a hardtail MTB which is a acka-nacka brand but I want to get it back on the trail purely so I have the experience in maintenence already stripped headset, both hubs, bottom bracket (it is cup and axel) and re-fitted them - have a suspension overhaul to do and tidy up the brakes and it'll be done - I've replaced all the cables which is obviously no biggy but funds have run out this month so I reckon it'll be a few weeks before I get any serious trail riding done.

Cheers folks - look forward to getting to know you lot.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I built my commuter from a bare frame, that way I know every part on it and everything is the way I want it for MY commute.

summary, 700c frame running 26" wheels, 1x9 drive, cable discs, flat bars, rack and panniers (I hate a sweaty back!) and reasonably light, all for the princely sum of £268 (current!) using ebay and the calssifieds on here.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.