Recommend me an SPD commuter shoe!

RufusA
RufusA Posts: 500
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I need some new shoes after my Shimano MT41's have given up the ghost.

Every cheap Shimano shoe I buy seems to last me less than six months as the foam/lining self destructs in the heel area.

What I need from a shoe is:

1) I can walk easily in it on London streets without going AoverT or destroying the cleats.
2) I can cycle reasonably efficiently in them.
3) They have reflective strips / patch on the heel.
4) They are water resistant (i.e. shrug off showers; not stand in streams levels).
5) They can be used all year round (not too sweaty or cold).
6) They are durable!
7) They don't look too stupid!
8) Budget - anything cheaper than the £100/year I'm spending on MT41's.

Any recommendations, I'm willing to give Shimano another go if there's one that's known to be a bit more robust, or something a little left field!

TIA - Rufus.

Comments

• WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    RufusA wrote:
    I need some new shoes after my Shimano MT41's have given up the ghost.

Any recommendations, I'm willing to give Shimano another go if there's one that's known to be a bit more robust, or something a little left field!

TIA - Rufus.

I was quite impressed by the range in Decathlon yesterday and at some good prices...

I am a very stingy man though, I have some LIDL/ALDI ones at the moment which are heavy as hell, but robust in use :-)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    My Shimano MT20s have lasted 11 years and are still going strong. I wear them pretty much everyday. Sure the inside lining of the heal area tends to wear but then so will the heal area of any similar type of sports shoe. In the time I have had my MT20s I have had 3 pairs of Nike Max running shoes which have worn out, not on the inside of heal I hasten to add, but on the soles. On the whole I find find Shimano cycling shoes well made and very durable.

I have a pair of Shimano MT31 SPD shoes that I bought 2 years ago which I have worn only a couple of times as I find my old MT20s so much more comfortable.

Are you sure you have the correct size for your feet?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    dilemna wrote:
    Are you sure you have the correct size for your feet?

A good question! I am usually a size 10, but a wide top end of size 10, so in buying shoes either opt for size 10 if they are roomy, or size 11 if they are a narrow fit. For Shimano I assumed 45 rated at UK 10.5 should be a good match (and my LBS didn't have any 46 to try).

Reading reviews, Shimano size a little small, so perhaps nudging up to 46 may put less strain on the heel. I'll see if I can find a not-so-LBS that has all of the colours in all of the sizes!

Rufus.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    I'd be more concerned the shoes were too big, and this is letting the heel "float" about in there, rubbing against and destroying the heel lining (at the back, right?) (similar thing is happening to a pair of my safety boots).
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Specialized shoes fit my feet well and I find them comfortable and hard-wearing for the commute. Worth going down to your LBS and trying different brands, models, etc..
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Gussio wrote:
    Specialized shoes fit my feet well and I find them comfortable and hard-wearing for the commute. Worth going down to your LBS and trying different brands, models, etc..
    +1
    Specialized seem to be good for wider feet.
    Also look at Sidi if your budget stretches that far; their regular sizes are fairly narrow, but they also do a "Mega" version of each size, which is suitable for wide feet.

I used to have all sorts of problems (and pain) with my wide feet until I discovered these; now have Sidi Dominators in the Summer, and Specialized Defrosters in the Winter. Initial outlay is more than a single pair of "all-rounders", but they get half the wear, and my feet are soooo much more comfortable...

OT: Garmont ski boots also recommended for wide feet...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I'd go up a size with Shimano.
    All my normal shoes are 45s
    My Shimano shoes are all 46s.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have very wide feet (no Italian Leather for me) at an F and a G fitting, I am suing spesh Tahoe MTB shoes, cleat is embedded so you can walk perfectly normally off the bike (bar the sole being a bit stiff anyway!) and the cleats only touch on stones etc, not the paving, I sized mine at Evans and then saved £18 buying online (tut tut!)

They tick all your boxes (the reflective bit is the Spesh 'S' lightning flash), £70 from Evans last year, I paid £52 (Stonehenge cycles or some such name!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    shimano mt31. Cheap, well made and can walk around in them if you have to stop at the shops. Been ideal for me over the past couple of years.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    Ive been using shimano RT51, been fine for me, but not very waterproof going through a puddle, always advisable to carry a spare pair of socks
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    Spesh taho MTB shoes
  • itsbruce
    itsbruce Posts: 221
    Avoid the Shimano boots - they leak through the sole because of the hole there. I've found the Specialized BG Sport range great - the MTB ones are more comfortable for commuting; you can walk more than a few yards in them without risking falling flat, unlike the pro road ones.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    MrBlond wrote:
    Spesh taho MTB shoes

+1

Had mine 3 yrs and they are ace.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,356
    DHB mountain bike shoe from wiggle

small sizing though

for a size 10 buy 46 etc
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I have some specialized sonoma and they seem pretty good
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I have very wide feet (no Italian Leather for me) at an F and a G fitting, I am suing spesh Tahoe MTB shoes, cleat is embedded so you can walk perfectly normally off the bike (bar the sole being a bit stiff anyway!) and the cleats only touch on stones etc, not the paving, I sized mine at Evans and then saved £18 buying online (tut tut!)

They tick all your boxes (the reflective bit is the Spesh 'S' lightning flash), £70 from Evans last year, I paid £52 (Stonehenge cycles or some such name!)

Simon

Evans will price match even on online prices
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DHB mountain bike shoe from wiggle

small sizing though

for a size 10 buy 46 etc

I have these with SPDs. Very pleased with them.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    What do you people mean by the heel waring out?

Are you talking about the lining?

I've tried Shimano (2 models I think) shoes, but found them to be too hard on the inside.

Then I tried Specialized Primo and Tahoes which were more like it. Though I ended up getting BG Sport a few weeks later as I wear them for cycling and not commuting/where i need to walk around any distance - they are also stiffer and fitted quit well, but of course they are more cycling shoes than cycling/walking! :D

Do give the Primos a try! :D