The jerseys

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Clearly one has all the "champions of" jerseys ie Great Britain, Luxembourg etc. Then there's the current World Champion's jersey, as well as the Yellow, Green, Polka Dot and White and combative.

But - IIRC once a pro has won the worlds or his own champs he has the right to wear the stripes on his sleeve of any jersey? Would this be true of the Yellow/Green etc as well? ie do they have multiple versions of the yellow lying in wait in case a random team member ends up with the yellow?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Yellow/green/white/PD jerseys are made when needed.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    There was an interesting programme on this last year. It's one guy who does a sort of iron-on transfer onto the jersey at the end of every stage for the podium presentations. I think he makes the race jerseys for the following day too
  • clanton
    There was an interesting programme on this last year. It's one guy who does a sort of iron-on transfer onto the jersey at the end of every stage for the podium presentations. I think he makes the race jerseys for the following day too

Ok - so he will make a Saxobank version of the Yellow jersey for Cancellara - and add world champ stripes? And similarly had Frank Schleck got yellow he would have had a Saxobank yellow with Luxembourg stripes?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They don't bother with stripes on the yellow jersey. Never have.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Modern technology means they can make up the jerseys on the spot. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of the teams have their own ready "just in case" their rider gets in yellow/green/dots/white, etc.

Always wondered about the skinsuits - if the team makes them or the Tour provides them.

And - the jersey that the rider gets on the podium is just a souvenir. It's not the same one they wear the next day when they race.
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    edited July 2010
    Who is the swiss Champ now. I thought I saw the jersey in the TDF but I might be mistaken.

Edit: Martin Elmiger.

Edit again v v v v v v

Thanks Rich
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Allez Mark wrote:
    Who is the swiss Champ now. I thought I saw the jersey in the TDF but I might be mistaken.

Martin Elmiger (AG2R)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    The leader's jersey in any race trumps even the World Champs jersey, so they don't bother with bands on the arms.
  • clanton
    Interesting - thanks for the replies! I knew the podium shirts weren't for riding in - they zip up at the back.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Tour makes the Skinsuits too.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Why don't some riders have stripes on their arms that should. e.g. Armstrong does not have rainbow bands, Kloeden doesn't have german tricolour on his sleeves
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Pokerface
    Timoid. wrote:
    Why don't some riders have stripes on their arms that should. e.g. Armstrong does not have rainbow bands, Kloeden doesn't have german tricolour on his sleeves

Armstrong DOES have rainbow bands. Don't know about Kloden.

f0c6c475-2321-40a6-9066-2b50f4236bf1.Full.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's the speed at which the full colour co-ordinated bikes get done that amazes me!
  • Pokerface
    NapoleonD wrote:
    It's the speed at which the full colour co-ordinated bikes get done that amazes me!

Doesn't take long to build a bike - only an hour if you know what you're doing. The frames are pre-painted and waiting to be used!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    He didn't earlier in the season

cancerc6_600.jpg

or for a lot of the time with Disco/Postal

lancecorner1.jpg

lance_armstrong_7.jpg

The bands seem to come and go

Kloden never wears his bands

_41812390_weeningklodenstage8.jpg

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/85/Andreas_Klöden_(Tour_de_France_2007_-_stage_8).jpg/424px-Andreas_Klöden_(Tour_de_France_2007_-_stage_8).jpg[/img]

57ee80df-abed-441c-8d62-dd18e31f20dc.Large.jpg
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Pokerface
    It's not a requirement to wear the bands. You are right - he doesn't always have them. Might just depend on what kit is available to him on the day and his 'good' kit is in the wash ;)
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Timoid. wrote:

it's a bit hit and miss with some teams. LA doesn't always have them but seems to have worn the rainbow strips on the sleeves most days for the tour.

Maybe it depends on what they have available each morning.
  • Orleandrew
    Orleandrew Posts: 61
    Noticed someone with the rainbows stripes round the legs of their shades in this tour. Can't remember who it was.
  • Pokerface
    Lance_Armstrong.jpg
    seven-time-tour-de-france-champion-lance-armstrong-in-the-principality-of-monaco-in-preparation-for-the.jpg

Maybe it's something that has become more popular in recent year.
  • Pokerface
    Orleandrew wrote:
    Noticed someone with the rainbows stripes round the legs of their shades in this tour. Can't remember who it was.

Freire or Ballan are the only 2 former road world champs in the race (besides Armstrong). Evans obviously the current champ.

There are also 2 former World TT champ and one current in the race.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    I believe in a road stage you can only wear the bands if you were road champ, in a TT stage you get to were the bands for a TT world championship. I think this was because so many track cyclists with world championships turned pro that the rainbow jersey and teh WC bands became a little confused.
  • Pokerface
    Bugly wrote:
    I believe in a road stage you can only wear the bands if you were road champ, in a TT stage you get to were the bands for a TT world championship. I think this was because so many track cyclists with world championships turned pro that the rainbow jersey and teh WC bands became a little confused.

It actually goes much further than that. If you are a track world champion, you only wear the bands when competing in the specific event you won them in! So if you won them in the pursuit, you can't wear them when riding in the sprint (for instance).

Same logic applies to National Champion colours - you only wear them while competing in the specific event you won them in.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pokerface wrote:
    It actually goes much further than that. If you are a track world champion, you only wear the bands when competing in the specific event you won them in! So if you won them in the pursuit, you can't wear them when riding in the sprint (for instance).

Same logic applies to National Champion colours - you only wear them while competing in the specific event you won them in.

I remember Chris Hoy did the L'Etape du Tour in his World Champs jersey (which is obviously allowed, with it being a sportive and all).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pokerface
    Please see the thread entitled "Sportives are NOT races" 8) 8)
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    @pokerface = yep thats so to the best of my knowledge. :D