OT: Alcohol Prices

13»

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    spen666 wrote:
    There is nothing wrong with change supported by the Government. The poll tax demos led the government to change the law on local taxation from what they preferred to the current system. The government acted because of the actions of the people.
    But it required government to act to resolve the issue - which is my point - how can these things be resolved without the government acting? They can't.

Corporate boycotts DO WORK, they need enough people to support them. If they do not have sufficient support, then that is a lesson in itself.
    I can't think of one that has worked though - can you? Most companies respond with a change in PR which is enough to fool most people and take the pressure off - or they just carry on regardless knowing that most people have to buy their product anyway.
    Without revolution, then all change must be backed by government. however, its the people who can shape the government opinion/ policy by letting their views be known.

But in the end it is the government who is required to act or nothing is achieved, which was my point.