Replacement rear wheel - help needed

rocket_scientist
rocket_scientist Posts: 2
edited July 2010 in The workshop
My back wheel has somehow become bent and has a broken spoke. It's pretty much un-ridable at the moment because the bend in the wheel causes it to rub the brake block on each rotation and it's deflating inner tubes faster than I can change them!

My bike is a 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, with whatever wheels that comes with (details are available on Evans Cycles pages).

I'd like some advice on what to replace this with/where to obtain the replacement.

I use the bike for commuting, mainly road/cycle paths, around 1200 miles per year. I'm fairly lightweight but carry a fair amount in rear panniers. I cycle in any/all weather conditions. My budget is not quite the cheapest possible, but something inexpensive of reasonably quality. I'd expect it to last the same distance as my current wheel has, preferrably a lot more!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Remove wheel, tyre and tube and rim tape, take a spoke into an LBS and get a new one (typically 50-75p) and fit it, slowly torque it up (use a spoke key!) until its about as tight as the others, pound to a penny it will be near enough straight, then follow any of the advice sites and true it up, its really really not that hard.

I paid £4.00 for a 'totally knackered' rear wheel, replaced the 2 broken spokes and 2 stripped niples, did them all up, hey preto one true wheel, total cost £4.75 and the wheel is worth about £50 even used!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • flateric
    flateric Posts: 201
    Deffo take to LBS, eiuther DIY and trueing is remarkably easy, or get them to do it. cost will only be small, less than a wheel anyway.,
    Bike one Dawes Acoma (heavily modified)
    Bike two (trek) Lemond Etape (dusty and not ridden much)
    Bike Three Claude Butler chinook, (freebee from
    Freecycle, Being stripped and rebuilt
    (is 3 too many bikes)