Starting in Switzerland/ Austria finishing in Venice

DTH
DTH Posts: 303
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi Guys

We are putting a route together for a 6-8 day ride next year. Starting in Switzerland/ Austria finishing in Venice. We are flying out and our bike are being taken by our support crew in a van.Have any of you done this sort of route.

Anyone stayed at any good cycling friendly B&B's, cheap hotels.

We want to take in as many of the Italian Alp/Dolimite climbs as we can. Any ideas much appreciated...

Cheers

Dave
if it\'s not dripping of your nose, your not trying!

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Hotel Labahorn in Grindlewald is in the middle of some spectacular scenery. It was full of Dutch mountain bikers when I was there, but they had a bike store and were washing the kit overnight for the riders.
    Half man, Half bike
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The Via Claudia ( www.viaclaudia.org)? . You an get good quality maps (free) from information offices along the route. The site also has a downloadable list of hotels, and B&Bs on the way.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Anyone stayed at any good cycling friendly B&B's, cheap hotels.
    I don't think they know the word cheap in switzerland :)
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Did something similar in the opposite direction about 8 years ago. Rode from Treviso (Ryanair's Venice ;-) to Salzburg.
    Took in some great climbs (Passo San Boldo, Croce d'Aune, Fedaia, Giau, Pordoi, Sella, Gardena, Campolongo, Tre Croci, Tre Cime de Lavaredo, Grossglockner). We had panniers and took a 12 days, so bagless I reckon you could do that on 8 days ;-)
    The Grossglockner is a fantastic way to get over into Italy - certainly an experience you'll never forget. Just pray for good weather 'cos the views are stunning.

If you take a look here it might give you some route ideas.
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/bike2002/index.htm
    Not sure if all the links to the hotels will still work, but they were all fine - great infact.

Cheeers... Allan.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'