adjusting brakes on a GT agressor XC2

00jase
00jase Posts: 2
edited July 2010 in The workshop
hi,
im pretty new to the mtb scene and have got a gt agressor xc2 which i am very pleased with, but i dont no anything about adjusting the brakes on some bikes it says there is a screw on the inside of the disc that you can turn but im not sure if this is the same for a GT. The other thing is the cable coming from the lever it's not one that you can just screw to tighten the brakes
(the brakes are tektro auriga hydraulic disc brakes)

id apreciate any help you can give me.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is nothing much to adjust on Hydraulic brakes, the calliper adjustments are for cable (mechanical) brakes, some have stop and travel adjust at the lever but that is for comfort not performance.

There is no 'cable' its a hose (for the hydraulic fluid)

Why do you think they need adjusting? The only maintenance usually required is bleeding or changing pads.

You'll get more success having this posted in the MTB workshop section, not many commuters run discs, even less Hydraulic ones!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can download the instructions form the manufacturer.

There should be a lever reach adjust screw, but as above, that will be it.
  • I have the exact same bike with the same brakes. There is no adjustment required, the adjustments you are talking about are for the mechanical disc brake type NOT fitting on your bike.

If the levers are gettng close to the bar then your pads are most probably worn. Very easy to replace, just remove the pad retaining bolt, pull the pads out, refit new pads with metal spring plate, refit the retaining pin and job done. Job should take no more than 5 minutes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pads getting worn has nothing to do with the lever getting closer to the bar - the brake is a open hydraulic and self adjusts the pads to compensate for the wear.

You generally fit and forget these brakes, until they need bleeding or a pad change. They can take a ride to bed in new pads and stop a little rubbing.