Airedale/ Wharfedale commuters?

Compost
Compost Posts: 63
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone commute into Leeds from Airedale/ Wharfedale?

I just moved to Silsden and will be looking to ride in on occasion. Any preferred routes? Anything to avoid?

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Compost wrote:
    Anyone commute into Leeds from Airedale/ Wharfedale?

I just moved to Silsden and will be looking to ride in on occasion. Any preferred routes? Anything to avoid?
    All those names say "canal" to me... though the section west of Leeds is notorious for hassle from the locals.

I generally don't bring my Airedale to work. He's happier at home, especially in the garden harrassing the cats.

Cheers,
    W.
  • funkidunc
    funkidunc Posts: 12
    Hi compost

I cycle into Leeds from Guiseley along the A65. Lovely going in virtually downhill all the way, passing numerous motorists :wink: Also find that I am looking forward to cycling home even though the last 7 miles is uphill.

Depends what bike youve got but as you are further northwest than myself perhaps the Leeds/Liverpool canal is worth ago. I sometimes do that route on my MTB starting from Shipley. Plus you wont need to have breakfast with all the natural protein flying into your mouth :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    All those names say "canal" to me... though the section west of Leeds is notorious for hassle from the locals.

I used to commute along the canal and only ever had once incident of a small boy half heartedly lobbing a stone at me. TBH, probably OK as long as you avoid the first warm day of the year when all the scutters come out to picnic on the canal. Note though that the canal is not very direct and the section from Silsden to Keighley was rough when I last did it.

Compost - I ride around this area quite a lot. Assuming you want to keep things reasonably sane (ie avoiding too much King of the Mountains practice), the B6265 from Steeton to Keighley is a much nicer alternative to the A629 as far as Keighley. Then 650 to Shipley, A 657 to Bramley and then B6157 down to the Kirkstall road. Not particularly scenic but fairly direct, mostly undulatey rather than climby and always seems fairly safe to me (often the roads are broad and straight)

Wharfedale involves a bit of a climb over - rather than that I'd prefer the hilly route along the South edge of Ilkley Moor to Guiseley. There are a few very nice routes through Wharfedale I use on my way home but they are a bit of a detour!

PS - Silsden; wierd place :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Compost
    Compost Posts: 63
    Thanks all - great stuff.

The canal would be great but I'm on a road bike at the moment so might have to take it a bit steady. I like the sound of the moor road. Main road sounds good for a quick blast, but not much fun!

I rode to the train station this morning and was scalped by a guy on a nice Cervelo. First time I've been scalped in 3 years' cycle commuting (ok, on quiet country roads) and I didn't enjoy it!
    PS - Silsden; wierd place
    True - but it has an awesome chinese!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Compost wrote:
    PS - Silsden; wierd place
    True - but it has an awesome chinese!

Yes, but think of the ingredients....... THINK OF THE INGREDIENTS......... :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......