Servicing your own bike

rmhodv
rmhodv Posts: 83
edited July 2010 in The workshop
Well it's nearly a year since I got my new bike via the C2W scheme. During this time I have maintained my bike when needed, chain oiling, brake blocks etc etc. However I would like to service my bike. The problem is what needs to be done. Is there anyway to get a service schedule With my car I know that each year the oil needs changing, new filters etc, but is this information available for your bike?

Comments

• flateric
    flateric Posts: 201
    get a bike shop to tell you whats in there service scedule, most shops i have used do two types, a basic which seems to be lube, cables and brake pads and a major which on the whole is strip everything down and regrease and rebuild it.

One of the best buys is a tool kit, cheaper than a service with all the tools you need to strip down a bike. There are good bike manuals as well including haynes that will give you an idea of what to do.

My personal approach is "if it aint broke dont fix it" so while my bearings are tight and smooth running they are left alone and i only fix worn stuff like pads and cables.

With this approach my MTB has never been in bits in 4 years, hydraulic discs still work as new despite being fitted in 2003 and only ever needing one set of pads. My current "project" is a claude butler which will only be stripped as far as needed for a deep clean with only worn stuff being stripped down or serviced.

How much or little servicing you need i guess depends on the bike, how hard its ridden and well its kept clean.
    Bike one Dawes Acoma (heavily modified)
    Bike two (trek) Lemond Etape (dusty and not ridden much)
    Bike Three Claude Butler chinook, (freebee from
    Freecycle, Being stripped and rebuilt
    (is 3 too many bikes)