Power Balance Bands

52Teeth
52Teeth Posts: 67
edited July 2010 in Pro race
So I saw that Petacchi was wearing a 'Power Balance Band' on the podium yesterday, does this account for him not actually being over the hill?

In an interview after the stage on Wednesday Wiggins was also wearing one, as were the entire Garmin team. And probably more to boot - but presumably not Frank Schleck.

Anybody got one? Does it make any difference to your cycling / life as claimed?

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    He's not over the hill. Yesterday was positive proof of that.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I think the lesson we can learn from cyclists wearing these is that pro cyclists are not very bright.

Total nonsense.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    It's the power of holograms you know.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think the lesson we can learn from cyclists wearing these is that pro cyclists are not very bright.

Total nonsense.

Or else that pro cyclists will sell whatever remains of their credibility as thinking human beings for a few dollars sponsorship.

Wonder how much they weigh? How many watts extra output over the course of the three weeks would it take to carry one :?: I remember two brothers that cycled to the centre of Mongolia drilling holes in their plastic spoons to keep weight down :lol:
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • desmosedici
    desmosedici Posts: 117
    Someone lent me one for a trial.

No difference in output on the power meter using rollers. Could be more psychological than anything else. But those are guys professionals, and I assume someone is paying them to wear it.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    This is nearly as cringeworthy as the drug free tattoos that Cunego et al wore
  • So how do we feel about wearing the number 13 upside-down to neutralise the bad luck ?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think it's more a case of them being offered a few grand to ride with one of these. If you paid me £5,000 then maybe I'd even consider wearing a pink one.

But they offer no performance gains, if anything there is the tiny weight penalty. For the amateur, they signal to everyone that you are the sort of gullible chump who believes anything.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    All utter arse. It just goes to show sports professionals are no better role models, than say Katie Price.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    eh wrote:
    All utter ars*. It just goes to show sports professionals are no better role models, than say Katie Price.

That's a bit harsh. The Dutch football team are wearing them. Their attitude is 'if they work -great, if they don't then we've lost nothing'.

It's new age mumbo jumbo though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have one of them Trion:Z thingies.

It supposedly helps with my knackered leg. It does, as when I take it off I think about it and my leg hurts.

All in the head? Highly highly likely but if it works in that way, ar5ed.
  • Anonymous
    You should hear about Machina Dynamica and Peter Belt in the world of Hi Fi!!

http://www.machinadynamica.com/

http://www.belt.demon.co.uk/
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Their attitude is 'if they work -great, if they don't then we've lost nothing'.

They may not as they'll get them free, but what about the poor sods who go an buy them at £30 a pop or whatever, all based on a complete lie? This isn't overstating a products claims, they are selling something that simply doesn't do anything.

Or look at it the other way, if it did do something to increase energy levels etc, then it should be banned as a performance enhancing product.
  • Anonymous
    eh wrote:
    Their attitude is 'if they work -great, if they don't then we've lost nothing'.

They may not as they'll get them free, but what about the poor sods who go an buy them at £30 a pop or whatever, all based on a complete lie? This isn't overstating a products claims, they are selling something that simply doesn't do anything.

Or look at it the other way, if it did do something to increase energy levels etc, then it should be banned as a performance enhancing product.

What? Like healthy food?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    edited July 2010
    According to the blurb on Wiggle and on the PB website

"How Does the Hologram Work? Power Balance® is based on the idea of optimizing the body’s natural energy flow, similar to concepts behind many Eastern philosophies. The hologram is designed to respond to the natural energy field of the body. The Mylar material at the core has been treated with energy waves at specific frequencies. The resulting Mylar is believed to work with your body’s natural energy flow to help enable you to perform at the best of your ability."

If this is complete bollox, then the companies are indeed selling them based on lies.
    However, note the "designed to" and "believed to" wording - there is no concrete claim as to what this product does. Because I suspect it does nothing.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • So how do we feel about wearing the number 13 upside-down to neutralise the bad luck ?

The worst thing about people trying to emulate pros is when they do the "drape hands over the bars and pretend I'm David Miller" thing. Get your hands on your effin bars. I'm considering the next time I see someone do this just giving them a good shove onto the verge.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    So how do we feel about wearing the number 13 upside-down to neutralise the bad luck ?

That definitely doesn't work. I got DQ'd for it last year.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    So how do we feel about wearing the number 13 upside-down to neutralise the bad luck ?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    52Teeth wrote:
    So I saw that Petacchi was wearing a 'Power Balance Band' on the podium yesterday, does this account for him not actually being over the hill?

In an interview after the stage on Wednesday Wiggins was also wearing one, as were the entire Garmin team. And probably more to boot - but presumably not Frank Schleck.

Anybody got one? Does it make any difference to your cycling / life as claimed?

I'm really hoping that the last question was an attempt at humor and in absolutely no way serious.
    Although I have heard that triathletes and golfers buy them. :wink:
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    dennisn wrote:

Unlucky... :roll:
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    F**king magnets, how do they work? :?
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    dennisn wrote:
    I bet 1990s MTB cross-country champ Baker had no qualms about wearing 13.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I have one of them Trion:Z thingies.

It supposedly helps with my knackered leg. It does, as when I take it off I think about it and my leg hurts.

All in the head? Highly highly likely but if it works in that way, ar5ed.

I have one as well after trying one out on my brother-in-law masked as a birthday present.

Works for me and if it didn't then I had lost £18. I am assuming these are the same type of thing
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • 52Teeth
    52Teeth Posts: 67
    So basically the answer is no. Nobody really has one or has really tried one.

I'd say I'll ask the bloke in the sky jersey, garmin bibs, cervelo cap, riding the deep rim carbon clinchers on a boardman bike with a creaking bb because he'll definitely have one! But hey I don't want eating alive on here.
    :wink:
  • Cheshire_Cat
    Cheshire_Cat Posts: 464
    52Teeth wrote:
    So basically the answer is no. Nobody really has one or has really tried one.

I'd say I'll ask the bloke in the sky jersey, garmin bibs, cervelo cap, riding the deep rim carbon clinchers on a boardman bike with a creaking bb because he'll definitely have one! But hey I don't want eating alive on here.
    :wink:

Bloody rubbish - I got that bb sorted last week :D
  • afx237vi wrote:
    F**king magnets, how do they work? :?
    Well ya need a big battery. Ask Fabian.
    Dan