Swapping rims

monkeylizard
monkeylizard Posts: 155
edited July 2010 in MTB general
A few months ago I bought some new wheels - Hope Pro II / Stan's ZTR355s and recently I've been lucky enough to get a new bike with Hope Pro III / DT Swiss 4.2s

I prefer the look of the 355s, but I don't think it's possible to just swap the wheels - the Pro IIs are 9mm / 6 bolt whereas the Pro IIIs are 15mm / 3 bolt. Would it be worth the time, effort and money involved in swapping just the rims? Do I stand to gain anything other than them looking a bit more 'bling'?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You'll likely need new straight pull spokes for the Pro 3, which are a total bugger to find. You may get some off Hope, but they may not supply a complete set.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Can't you just get 15mm adapters for the pro2 hub? or see if the 15mm adaptor on the pro3 adaptor will fit on the pro2 hub?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    are the rotors the same size, if so then swap the wheels, if not swap the wheels and the caliper adaptors.

Use the pro2/355 you prefer them and a new set of sp3 will fetch a pretty penny second hand in new condition.
  • njee20
    One day I'll start reading threads properly. I'd just do as suggested above, far more sensible!
  • monkeylizard
    OK, just to complicate matters more...

The Pro IIs have Avid 185 and 160 rotors (6 bolt) while the Pro IIIs have Hope 180 and 160 rotors (3 bolt Mini Pro things). The new bike is a Whyte that has the weird Big Gripper rear dropout system.

Maybe should have mentioned this earlier... :oops:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Give hope a ring and check that the adaptors will work, you should be able to just swap the adaptors/axles to solve the issue and I think the 3 bolt rotors will fit on the 6 bolt hubs (although i'm unsure about this)

You might have to get new rotors or just space the front caliper out 2.5mm to run with the avid rotors.
  • monkeylizard
    OK, I'm convinced - I'll stick with things as they are :lol:

Sounds like a lot of hassle for bling-only reasons (I'm assuming there's not much weight/strength difference between the wheelsets).

Thanks for the advice, though :)
  • njee20
    3 bolt rotors won't work with 6 bolt hubs, you'd need 2 new rotors, a 180mm 6-bolt and a 185mm 3-bolt.

Probably cheaper to flog the Pro 3 wheels and buy another pair of Pro 2s with the right adapters!