Rudi admits Fuentes link

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2010 in Pro race
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4811/ ... entes.aspx

Not sure if it's matter for Ullrich now, but it's bound to all come out. Probably when Jan writes his book.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I though Ulle had already written his book, it just wasn't available in English... It was quoted in Procycling last year sometime with the line "Anyone who can't see what was going on in Cycling in the 90s is beyond my help"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Kinda fits in with BB favourite claim that Ulle was clean in 01.

I'd love to know who "the other doctors" Pevenage mentions are.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Sorry if I'm being daft but wasn't this known already?
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:

Not admitted though.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    The fact he was clean between 98 and 03 kinda makes sense, although the fact he was doped in 04 doesn't so much.

This is my main point about this sport, as much as I hear about this, and all the revelations about Pantani, it doesn't diminish for me the feelings I felt when they were in their pomp. I grew up with the Tour in the late 90s and there's big parts of my childhood that were probably created falsely, but these kinds of stories don't reduce my reverence for these athletes.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Hmm, is it credible that he was clean 98-03, his results weren't significantly worse than other times.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Hijo de Rudicio couldn't have been anyone else :wink:

I'm extremely doubtful he was riding clean before visiting Fuentes. Swathes of the peloton were using EPO.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    iainf72 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Not admitted though.
    Up to this interview, Pevenage said he knew Ullrich and Fuentes met 5-6 times a year, but he had no knowledge of blood-doping, rather Ullrich had asked him to arrange meeting Fuentes because of Ullrich's occasional overweight problems.

In the interview (the link doesn't have everything) Pevenage says he was tipped off 4-5 days before the 2006 Tour start not to take Ullrich to the Tour, because if Ullrich was there, 'something' would turn up. Instead Pevenage was advised to instead let Ullrich fall down the stairs and break a collarbone. Unfortunately Pevenage doesn't say who tipped him off or why this advice (or at least the first part) wasn't followed.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Rudi says he knows which other riders visited Fuentes and other doctors too. WOnder if the UCI will bother to ask him who this is or just ignore this like
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Pevenage signed up with Rock Racing - is he the Euro connection?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Re: Rock Racing. I can't remember where but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere hat they were being investigated *before* the Landis thing kicked off, so it may be a separate issue.

Anyone know any more about this?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    Re: Rock Racing. I can't remember where but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere hat they were being investigated *before* the Landis thing kicked off, so it may be a separate issue.

Anyone know any more about this?

Yeah. Off the back of the Kyle Leogrande case, they were being investigated. Been ongoing for some months now.
  • iainf72
    Jens comments

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4822/ ... quiet.aspx

Let's hope he doesn't say "I saw most of CSC there", eh, Jens?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    Jens comments

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4822/ ... quiet.aspx

Let's hope he doesn't say "I saw most of CSC there", eh, Jens?

Jens is right. Sh1t or get off the pot. Come out with some names or say nothing. Don't hint at stuff to build up a book.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    The fact he was clean between 98 and 03 kinda makes sense, although the fact he was doped in 04 doesn't so much.

Clean when. ??
    They start up some little team with East Germans and you say CLEAN. Bollox.

That the Iron Curtain PED's were then overtaken by the Italians and the Spanish but in the rest of sport the US had sorted their performance problems by the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics was plain to see with the amount of medals they won and world records.

I might no nothing about Drugs but don't give me the Telekom Team was Clean. Never in a million years.
    That little newly formed company that now merged East and West German telecomunications had to start from scratch and cycling was a good cheap way for publicity.
    The East Germans had World and Olympic Champions and a regime of coaches to keep the standard going.

When Ullrich won the TDF (after Riis the year before) they were boasting that they couldn't believe their luck that sponsorship of the cycling team had made them as well known as Coca Cola.
    Didn't they do well. That Multinational company was built on PED's. (not a word is Libel)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972