Cannock - Any sections closed?

coolboarder
coolboarder Posts: 149
edited July 2010 in Routes
Heading back over to the chase on Saturday and just wondered if there are any sections closed on the full dog and monkey circuit?

I last went just after the monkey trail opened and it did start to get quite cut up. Mind you it was dry there for weeks and really needed some rain to help compact the trail down.

Please please please dont let those lush downhils and berms be shut !!

Rob

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited July 2010
    ... just wondered if there are any sections closed on the full dog and monkey circuit?
    Nope it's all open :D

It's cut up in places - very dry and rubbly - but some sections are super-buff.
  • darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    Yeah I went yesterday and it's all open. It is desperate for some rain though as it is getting very cut up and loose in some sections.
  • coolboarder
    Had a good ride Saturday over there but was disappointed to see it cut up so much. Dont get me wrong, its still an awsome trail and beats riding canals and bridal ways hands down but its a shame to see such a difference from when i first rode it a few weeks after the monkey trail opened. I guess its a victim of its own success and of course the dry weather hasnt helped.
  • .blitz
    Agreed. Some will say it's 'more natural' but the truth is it is very cut up. The descent from Lower Cliff was like a DH bowling green with berms when it opened but look at it now :(
  • Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    Would assume its still fun though? I shall be paying my first visit there in 2 weeks. :D

One other question, is Follow the Dog/The Monkey Trail all rollable for a relative slow person/noob?
  • .blitz
    Yes it is all rollable and very enjoyable, it's just deteriorated, sorry changed quite a bit since it opened.
  • coolboarder
    @blitz is the "lower cliff" descent the one before you go back over the road & railway? I went there with a load from my work on Saturday and built every one up for this big downhill only to find the last 2 thirds was so loose which obviously slows you down a lot. Youre right, it was like a downhill bowling green but nothing like it now.

I started this thread in the hope of finding out no sections were closed. Well im of a different opinion now and think it does need closing off in parts for repare.

Ive been riding for years but only recently realised the fun of single track, so how do other trails hold up around the country having not been to many?

@Chronicbint Still go for it, its great fun. You might find a few hills need a little pushing of the bike but it truely is a great trail. They did realy well over there with what terain there is.
  • Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    I cant wait, even if it is cut up, only ever been to Thetford which is crud in places. :lol: Roll on the 21st, might get some rain before then. :D
  • .blitz
    is the "lower cliff" descent the one before you go back over the road & railway?
    Yup that's it. As you say the last bit is like the aftermath of an earthquake compared to how it used to be.

No doubt it will be assessed and repaired in due course. Can't have people stacking it on the official trails can we :wink:
  • Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    Was out there last night, a lot of it is like a sand pit and many areas are severely rutted. Still good fun though, more down to fear than the speed though :p
  • I thought the decents were great and technical... even more so with all the lose rock and rubble.

Just learn to pick your lines and look ahead and its great + fast!

Heard a few guys moaning about it being cut up after me and Bails got to the bottom, made me chuckle to myself a bit :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If they fix it all, the same people who moaned about it being cut up will moan about it being too smooth and "sanitised" :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist