Anyone else really still only 7 years old?

ktaylor
ktaylor Posts: 58
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
At the risk of coming across as a 7 year old I would like to inform everyone that I cycled all the way into work, 6.5 miles through traffic lights and roundabouts, no-handed. However sad this may appear I know this will be my best accomplishment for the week.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I just laughed, so, umm.... yep
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    dO YOU NOT HAVE TO STOP AT ANY POINT?
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    jeez. I took my hands off the bars for only a few seconds this morning and hit a pot hole straight away :x
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    ktaylor wrote:
    At the risk of coming across as a 7 year old I would like to inform everyone that I cycled all the way into work, 6.5 miles through traffic lights and roundabouts, no-handed. However sad this may appear I know this will be my best accomplishment for the week.

All on green, I trust.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Mark Elvin wrote:

I assume that this is a case of not noticing that the caps lock was on, rather than you being shouty.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Mark Elvin
    Mark Elvin Posts: 997
    dondare wrote:
    Mark Elvin wrote:

I assume that this is a case of not noticing that the caps lock was on, rather than you being shouty.

Whoops, caps lock FAIL.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • ktaylor
    I confess one of the ten set of lights I went through just turned red as I sailed through. There was no lane coming in from the left and I'm invincible anyway (aren't all seven year olds?).

The roundabouts were trickier though.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    If you also drank a can of coke while riding you are officially better than Thor Hushovd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E3VcIsMzZ4
    <a>road</a>
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    ktaylor wrote:

Chapeau!
  • cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    excellent, well done!
    I'm definitely 7 years old, especially when it rains and I can take both feet of the pedals as I ride through huge puddles on a purpose. really have to hold back on the screams of delight :lol:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    All males basically get stuck at 7 - 10 years old :wink:

We grow old. We do not mature!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    my favourites are the running impression...and of course the classic 'aeroplane arms' routine!

Hi I'm cee and I'm 7. When I grow up I want to be an astronaut. :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ktaylor
    The problem of what to do with the arms when going no handed has always foxed me. There is a fine line between looking nonchalant and actually being able to stay upright.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    And did you collect any scalps?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    ktaylor wrote:
    The problem of what to do with the arms when going no handed has always foxed me. There is a fine line between looking nonchalant and actually being able to stay upright.

Throw them in the air in celebration, obv.

Although then you need to turn around, go back and pick them up, I suppose.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    ktaylor wrote:

Hold them out and pretend you're an aeroplane!
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Time to get some spokey dokes and pop a playing card against your chainstay for that motorbike noise me thinks....

:lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Time to get some spokey dokes and pop a playing card against your chainstay for that motorbike noise me thinks....

amatuer! real kids have http://www.turbospoke.com/ :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    cee wrote:
    BigJimmyB wrote:

Do Wiggle stock these?
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    BigJimmyB wrote:

I have some spokey dokes. I'll get them cleaned up for Saturday @ Richmond Park 8)
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    I hope you were carrying a getoblaster on your shoulder playing Bob Marley. Now that would have been cool.

.....oh, and learn to track stand with no hands.....

.....and then bunny hop up the last three steps straight in to the office.

It was however less embarrasing to fall off my bike when I was seven. Faceplanting in front of a group of teenagers was not as much fun at 33.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well at least we know what the answer should be if ktaylor asks flat or drops - neither, down tube shifters and bars long enough to hold brake levers only!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    cee wrote:

XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    TBH, I very nearly got a turbospoke a while back just for the hell of it.

It really did appeal to the 7YO in me :lol:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    nich wrote:
    jeez. I took my hands off the bars for only a few seconds this morning and hit a pot hole straight away :x

you're supposed to have your eyes open
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    ktaylor wrote:
    However sad this may appear I know this will be my best accomplishment for the week.

For that you get a whole gold star. Yay!
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    brilliant, especially the disclaimer on the ad

'caution, this product is awesome'
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • I came up to a part of my ride that I am a bit worried about the other day (right turn shortly after a sharp bend). A young kid in front of me held no such fears as he cycled no handed checking his phone in the middle of the lane slowing the cars down. I think no handed could be the future.