Greenwich Foot Tunnel closure, Thursday night 8 July

deptfordmarmoset
deptfordmarmoset Posts: 3,118
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I know there are a good number of cyclists commuting back from the Isle of Dogs to south-east London. Anyone returning late tomorrow night should bear in mind that the tunnel will be closed from 10pm until 6am on Friday morning, 9 July.

Comments

• further
    further Posts: 52
    Never been under myself but mean to check it out one day. Do people cycle along or is it generally too busy/policed?
  • Cycling is prohibited and very few people do cycle in the tunnel. ''Pedal scootering'' is also banned but a few do - the downhill bits are apparently a bit too difficult to turn down. Most, however, are law-abiding walkers. And a few people run with their bikes! Mad but perfectly legal.

EDIT: on a hot day it's lovely and cool!
  • cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    cycling not allowed, nor is freewheeling in the tunnel...anyone caught is penalised by not being allowed to use the lifts so have to carry their bike up the steps!!
  • further
    further Posts: 52
    I've got a free afternoon tomorrow and might take a look.
    ''Pedal scootering''

Do you mean when you're stood on a pedal with legs one side of the bike? I occasionally do that when I'm coming up to my house (on a fast, busy road). I go on the pavement where there's a break in the kerb, swing my leg around/off the bike and use my momentum to cruise up to the front gate. If I get it right I arrive at a slow walking pace. I know I shouldn't but I let on to myself it's not really cycling.
  • Do you mean when you're stood on a pedal with legs one side of the bike?

That's the chap.

If you go to the foot tunnel you might want to bear in mind that, though the north lift is working until the evening closure, the lift at the Greenwich end is only open from about 4pm and it was already shut at 7pm last night. I don't know the exact opening times, in fact they always seem to change. I'm only saying this because if you miss the lift, there are exactly 100 steps you'll have to carry your bike up.