Snowdon Vandalised

Dirtydog11
Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
edited July 2010 in MTB general
WTF? :shock: :shock:

This needs to be stopped!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... owdon.html

I had to check the date I thought it was April.

Comments

• Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Crazy; however this:
    Last October rescuers helped a 31-year-old disabled man who was left on the mountain by his friends in his wheelchair after they had found him too difficult to push.
    Made me :shock: even more.
    Possibly a contender for todays "The Stupid it Hurts" Thread....
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Erm, "more accessible for others" ...

What the fck is the train for if not for that reason? Would anyone want to push someone else in a wheelchair up Snowdon?

Fckin ridiculous.
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    The main problem with the Miners Track is that, from Pen-y-Pass, it looks easy.

It's only when you get up to the far end of Llyn Llydaw (Past the old crushing mill) you realise it's not as easy as you thought.

Tarmacking the path at the Car Park end is only going to make matters worse most likely.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The mountains are not a friendly place. Even with a nice smooth path you can get caught out in bad weather it would be easy enough to loose the path after 10 miniutes of snow.
    A tarmac path is just going to encourage badly prepared people to walk in to the mountains & ruin the adventure for other people.
  • They just need to have a cycle lane marked out on the path now :D
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    damn why would you do that. totally ruins the look of snowdone.
  • jay12 wrote:

And of course, the train tracks running up there and the cafe on the summit don't detract from the aesthetics of the mountain in the slightest, do they?

I'm in two minds about this - I don't think people should be encouraged into the mountains who aren't adequately prepared (whatever that means) but equally, if they're going to do it, it may as well be on Snowdon - keep all the nonsense in one place and stop it spreading to other mountains. It's not as if it's a virgin, unspoilt wilderness up there.
    It doesn't have to be fun to be fun...
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    jay12 wrote:

And of course, the train tracks running up there and the cafe on the summit don't detract from the aesthetics of the mountain in the slightest, do they?

I'm in two minds about this - I don't think people should be encouraged into the mountains who aren't adequately prepared (whatever that means) but equally, if they're going to do it, it may as well be on Snowdon - keep all the nonsense in one place and stop it spreading to other mountains. It's not as if it's a virgin, unspoilt wilderness up there.

i agree to some extent about it not being an unspoilt wilderness but it's the higest peak in wales and surely it should feel like an achievement to get to the top. take the train if you don't fancy the 'danger' of the walk.
  • Its so the bloody roadies can get up there :roll: :lol:
  • i agree to some extent about it not being an unspoilt wilderness but it's the higest peak in wales and surely it should feel like an achievement to get to the top. take the train if you don't fancy the 'danger' of the walk.

Agree with that, I just thought complaining about 100m of tarmac on aesthetic grounds was a bit short sighted.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    i agree to some extent about it not being an unspoilt wilderness but it's the higest peak in wales and surely it should feel like an achievement to get to the top. take the train if you don't fancy the 'danger' of the walk.

Agree with that, I just thought complaining about 100m of tarmac on aesthetic grounds was a bit short sighted.
    oh, it's only 100m. my bad
  • jay12 wrote:
    oh, it's only 100m. my bad

According to the article it is. Mind you, they also think Snowdon is the second highest mountain in the UK so I wouldn't necessarily rush to believe them... :shock:
  • they also think Snowdon is the second highest mountain in the UK

Also thought this was incorrect, there are quite a few of the munroes in Scotland that are higher..
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Let's not get carried away. This isn't an escalator to the peak. It's a 100m tarmac path.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Second highest mountain :lol:
    riiiight!

Anyway. As a local (I may be extradited for saying this) I'm not too fussed about the "tarmac" to be honest.
    The Miner's path (up to Glaslyn, it goes a bit "different" from that point up) is a pretty tame affair anyway. Almost the entire path was hardpacked gravel. There's some serious trail maintenance problems there due to the sheer amount of walkers on the mountain, so a bit of crushed granite faced tarmac seems like a good idea for places.

I am still at a loss why the Welsh tourist board keeps promoting Snowdon, then complaining about the vast number of people on the mountain. There are other peaks, in the very near vicinity which are very nearly as tall, and arguably harder to get to. I would like to see mote promotion and use done of all the surrounding area to be honest.
    I'd also love to see chairlifts/gondolas and proper DH tracks in the area, but that kind of "nonsense" is completely dissallowed :roll:
  • Interesting link regarding history of railway

http://www.snowdonrailway.co.uk/history.php

Will be doing the Snowdon race end of this month from Llanberis, whilst mrs goes up on the train.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'll be interested to see how that path holds up to a cold winter - it doesn't look fantastically laid, I reckon a series of freeze thaws and it will be worse for wheelchairs and prams than the old path! Still stupid, absolute nonsense.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Anonymous
    I'll be interested to see how that path holds up to a cold winter - it doesn't look fantastically laid, I reckon a series of freeze thaws and it will be worse for wheelchairs and prams than the old path! Still stupid, absolute nonsense.
    Hmm, I'm not so sure. Things tend to thaw very slowly up there. The tarmac road that leads up to the Power Station's upper structures on Elidir, for example, is still in fantastic condition, even after over 20 years - and very little maintenance has been done to it.
    And, that goes up to the same altitude as Glaslyn lake, which is where the smooth Miner's track ends, and the rock scramble begins.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Stupid thing is that I have walked the Miners Path and the last part is a very steep, rough, zig zag up a vertical face of Snowdon - children and wheelchair users are going to be remarkably pissed after walking/wheeling the 3 or 4 miles to that point and having to go all the way back.
  • Anonymous
    mr_poll wrote:
    Stupid thing is that I have walked the Miners Path and the last part is a very steep, rough, zig zag up a vertical face of Snowdon - children and wheelchair users are going to be remarkably pissed after walking/wheeling the 3 or 4 miles to that point and having to go all the way back.
    They presumably already are - that's my point, it's no different to how it was, just a harder wearing (hopefully) surface.
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    So you want your inheritance now?- take pops up to the top and let the wheel chair gooooooo :twisted:
    Don't think, BE: