new bike for british conditions?

tails
tails Posts: 30
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
I've decided on the cube acid as a new bike for getting back into mountain biking. My only worry is that in a few articles I've read it mentions british conditions/style of riding and whether some bikes are more suitable i.e. can handle mud and some rough treatment.

So, is the acid suitable for trail centres and a little xc? If not what do you suggest?

btw can't use halfords, just main brands from the lbs

this is the bike but not the shop
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=44339

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Concessions to our wonderful climate usually involve a forward-facing seat clamp slot :roll: and an additional 1 mm of clearance around the chainstays, which means you will be able to go an extra 50 metres before the rear triangle clogs up.

Call me Mr. Cynical but 'British MTBs' is just another feeble attempt by the marketing spin doctors to compartmentalise an already diverse and bloated product range in an effort to convince us we need a different bike for every situation.

Once you're out there on a bleak windswept hillside it doesn't really matter. Enjoy your bike.
  • tails
    cheers, i like cynical but I was worried about spending cash and then wrecking the bike so I thought i better check.

I'll get the forms filled and get it sorted. Until then I'll probably be getting left behind on my 98 gt timberline at llandegla this weekend. Which helpfully I've fitted out with semi slicks!
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I am fully for British designed kit, extra seals on the hubs and bottom brackets, sealed bearings not busings on pivots.

Until you have ridden a bike designed for California in the UK you don't realise how special the offerings from Orange are!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    The Acid has no issues that would cause any concern for UK riding
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    unlike Niner Bikes
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • What are british conditions?
  • BigShot
    BigShot Posts: 151
    Just had a look out the window and right now the answer is "bloody chucking it down".
    The gutters are overflowing.

If this keeps up for much longer the right bike for British conditions will be:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picture ... ml?image=4

I'm expecting Noah to float past any minute now.
  • What are british conditions?

The question is what AREN'T british conditions?

recently we have had everything!
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • north-sure wrote:
    What are british conditions?

The question is what AREN'T british conditions?

recently we have had everything!

My point exactly... just buy a bike :lol:
  • tails
    sorry all for the slow reply,

To be honest I'm not sure what 'British conditions' are. When you pick up a bike mag after years out all reviews seem to mention whether or not a bike is set up for lots of mud and whether it can take big tyres. As I couldn't find any reviews on the acid I got worried.

Just to be even more of a pain I went to see a LBS i hadn't been to and it stocks the merida trail, this bike caught my eye but I can't find anything about its suntour raidon fork. Any ideas?

or should I stop stressing and upgrade my old, old timberline with its chromoly frame?

Please give your ideas I promise I'll check more regulary
  • tails
    i should add that I'm waiting for the cyclescheme admin guys to get back in touch which is why i have all this time to keep posting new options.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    .blitz wrote:
    Concessions to our wonderful climate usually involve a forward-facing seat clamp slot :roll: and an additional 1 mm of clearance around the chainstays, which means you will be able to go an extra 50 metres before the rear triangle clogs up.

Call me Mr. Cynical but 'British MTBs' is just another feeble attempt by the marketing spin doctors to compartmentalise an already diverse and bloated product range in an effort to convince us we need a different bike for every situation.

Once you're out there on a bleak windswept hillside it doesn't really matter. Enjoy your bike.

Couldn't have put it any better.