Grippy shoes and/or new pedals

scoi
scoi Posts: 103
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
I seem to slip off my pedals quite a bit, 2 to 3 times a ride. Was thinking that better shoes and pedals may help. I currently have wellgo pedals and usually wear puma mostro trainers. I dont like the black clips they come with as i cant put the foot down quickly when needed and dont think i'll be confident enough for SPD's yet.

Any recomendations on some good pedals or trainers (ones i could wear in public would be good).

Or maybe i just need to learn how to balance better and i wont come off as often.

Comments

• hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    some bmx/skate shoes, check www.routeone.co.uk for ideas, or go to TKmaxx. shoes designed for flat pedals (bmx/5-10s) have soles designed to grip pedals and are harder wearing so don't get trashed by pedal pins.
    for pedals, check chainreaction and look around.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    vans waffle tread soles grip to flat pedals like chewing gum to hair.
  • Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    I have some DMR V12 pedals and dont seem to slip but I do wear 5.10 flat trainers which have ninja rubber(or something) :lol:

You are going to come off at some point with flat pedals I would assume.
  • Anonymous
    Don't be silly, it's not Ninja rubber. Nobody's ever caught a Ninja, let alone skinned one to make shoes from.
  • Chronicbint
    Chronicbint Posts: 172
    Don't be silly, it's not Ninja rubber. Nobody's ever caught a Ninja, let alone skinned one to make shoes from.

I heard its made by Ninja's in a small factory in Japan. :P
  • Anonymous
    Well that's just nonsense too. Nobody would ever be able to go and pick up deliveries, all the ninjas would have killed them as soon as they so much as thought about it.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Although flat pedals are like Kryptonite to me, by all accounts Five Tens are grippier than a grippy thing with good grip.
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    vans waffle tread soles grip to flat pedals like chewing gum to hair.

+1.

I have V8's on my HT and have "Various" Vans trainers (Floyd, Lipslide, Gryffith)...

Good combo.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use gusset slim jim pedals & La Sportiva climbing approach shoes http://www.outdoorequipmentdeals.co.uk/ ... Pro-Shoes/
    Well built, fast drying, with mega sticky rubber,and very comfortable.
  • Miggins
    Miggins Posts: 433
    After uphill there's downhill
  • scoi
    scoi Posts: 103
    So it seems i'll be looking like one of those guys who has forgotten he isnt a teenager any more. Rad
  • Anonymous
    scoi wrote:
    So it seems i'll be looking like one of those guys who has forgotten he isnt a teenager any more. Rad
    Well yeah, I mean you're on a mountain bike :lol:

But seriously though, there's hardly anything too "rad sick dooood" looking about something like this...
    41vgywEhZlL._AA300_.jpg
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    scoi wrote:

Don't see the problem.

I'm the wrong side of 40, and I wear Vans trainers all the time, not just on the bike.

I don't even embarass my 17 yr old Son while we're out.
    A major feat in itself I gotta tell ya. :lol:
  • DCs and V8s are a fairly nice combo :)
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    How about some SP..... No

I've just bought some Wellgo LU-313 pedals which I'll pair with my old wrecked vans for practicing some more technical terrain.
    I expect bloodied shins tomorrow.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • spingle
    spingle Posts: 35
    I seriously trashed my legs last summer slipping off pedals. Really not so good since I am girl. I have V8s now and 510s with stealth rubber and I haven't damaged my legs once since. Well not damaged with my pedals anyway. :lol:
  • kid_tw1st
    kid_tw1st Posts: 1
    A lot of people seem to be recommending a wide pedal, but i'd like to try a slimmer smaller pedal. I have these Wellgo platforms and i find them a bit too wide. Thanks

2431fz.jpg
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    My old vans seemed to stick to my news pedals like poo sticks to a blanket.
    Was glad not to be running spuds today.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    i used to ride skate shoes and though they grip the pedal, they're shit to walk in over slippy terrain when your legs give up the ghost...... (awaits abuse...)

Started wearing Solomon hiking shoes, super grippy and mud proof but the thick soles increase your stand over, I don't like it.

So I'm now using astroturf trainers - dead grippy, made o plastic so they're pretty waterproof, grip slippery terrain better than trainers, really thin sole so your standover isn't so high and light weight. Perfect.