Audax substance use

vorsprung
vorsprung Posts: 1,953
Everyone wants an easy ride around their favourite event. But how? Training takes a long time and is REALLY DIFFICULT

If only there was an easier way. My latest blog entry is about the various vitamins and snake oils I've tried to make riding events easy

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    You've been conned by the chemists friend Audax is fuelled primarily on CAKE! :) Isn't it?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Nice one Vorsprung.

You provide an interesting and balanced on the pros and cons within each of the types of supplements available. Here are a few additional comments:

- Ibuprofen. I good way of disguising joint pain though it is more effective as anti-inflamatory rather than pain killer. Of course a better way is prevention to avoid stress on joints through regular stretching before and after exercise to avoid muscular strains.

- Caffeine. Like rocket fuel but only if the rider is not a regular user or drinker of caffience based products. Coffee drinkers watch out!

- Creatine. Can cause muscular tears and should be avoided.

- Enery drinks. These are very personal. Some products work for riders whilst others do not. Personally speaking, I have recently found that gels supplementing electrolytes are more effective than energy drinks per se.

- Anti Fatigue tablets. An interesting one, never tried them but they could be useful for the hardest randonees.

Perhaps the oddest booster I have ever received on an audax was the consumption of a high octane and improbable ham sandwich during The Elenith. Bananas are even better!
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    You've been conned by the chemists friend Audax is fuelled primarily on CAKE! :) Isn't it?
    Mr Kipling's Country Slices (1 packet of 6 slices) are rocket fuel! Scones are also acceptable.
    Perhaps the oddest booster I have ever received on an audax was the consumption of a high octane and improbable ham sandwich during The Elenith. Bananas are even better!
    Interesting. I got a major boost with a cheese and ham toastie. My questionable route-finding also got a major boost. :?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • vorsprung
    Crapaud wrote:
    Mr Kipling's Country Slices (1 packet of 6 slices) are rocket fuel! Scones are also acceptable.
    Interesting. I got a major boost with a cheese and ham toastie. My questionable route-finding also got a major boost. :?

On the Elenith 300km a couple of years ago. I should point out that the Elenith is a "popular" 300km. It attracts all kinds of riders who would not otherwise attempt a hilly 180 miles.
    Large boned rider stopping ahead, looked a bit knackered. "You ok?".."yes, just stopping for a Pork Pie"
    He finished too
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    What is the situation with doping in audax incidentally? I make sure to avoid it when racing as it is on the banned list this year but commonly take Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) otherwise on the bike; I have bad hayfever and my nose runs like a tap if I don't (to the extent it draws comment; in races I just put up with this.) Obviously I am not going to be Audaxing on EPO and blood transfusions but there are a few substances on the banned list that are relatively common.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I'm doing an Audax next week, it'll be 180 miles for me when I get home, I'm gonna have to take every performance enhancing drug under the sun so I can destroy everyone with my immense god like pumped up power.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    blorg wrote:
    What is the situation with doping in audax incidentally? I make sure to avoid it when racing as it is on the banned list this year but commonly take Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) otherwise on the bike; I have bad hayfever and my nose runs like a tap if I don't (to the extent it draws comment; in races I just put up with this.) Obviously I am not going to be Audaxing on EPO and blood transfusions but there are a few substances on the banned list that are relatively common.

I don't think you can dope in an Audax as they're not races.
    Steve C
  • blorg
    sc999cs wrote:
    I know they are not races. There are however an impressive set of rules and regulations that have to be followed to have your brevet homologated. Having a quick look at the Audax UK book it does say they have the power to adopt rules to combat doping but I don't think they have actually adopted anything. EPO here I come!
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    blorg wrote:
    sc999cs wrote:
    I know they are not races. There are however an impressive set of rules and regulations that have to be followed to have your brevet homologated. Having a quick look at the Audax UK book it does say they have the power to adopt rules to combat doping but I don't think they have actually adopted anything. EPO here I come!

And how does EPO help with hay fever precisely...? :twisted:
    Steve C
  • vorsprung
    blorg wrote:
    sc999cs wrote:

The current situation is that Paris Brest Paris (PBP) bans performance enhancing drugs. On the last edition of the "ultimate audax" the Paris Brest Paris 1200km there was a regulation saying that the organisers reserved the right to take samples and to disqualify anyone using UCI banned substances. I think the reg might even have been even more vague than that. But it was there. UK Audaxes have no such regulation.

The reason for the reg. was because of the person in the article linked to in my blog who took EPO and loads of other stuff for PBP
  • blorg
    Very interesting story that vorsprung, I missed the link the first time I read your blog.