ASO to run a Cyclo-Sportif Paris Roubaix

symo
symo Posts: 1,743
No news as yet but it has just flashed up on my Java script TdF feed with the little riders on it , that on 9th April 2011 ASO will be running a cyclosportif version of the Paris Roubaix.

My questions are:

1) Who's up for it?
2) Is it a race?
+++++++++++++++++++++
we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    It's the MTB raid. The full sportive was last month next one 2012

http://www.vc-roubaix-cyclo.fr/site/
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    No it was on the TDF live feed with the little men saying ASO would be the organisers.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I like the idea of the same-weekend sportif pro-race. What an atmosphere it creates...

Flanders is wickid and the etape was good when the 2 dates were closer together.

Riding then watching Flander would work in my opinion. I did the event last month but riding in 25C and sun with nice green grass growing out of the cobbles is a little less grim and eric than snow flakes and muddy faces.

I'd go. None of these things are races but they might as well be - given they have lead cars, huge FO trophies, sometimes prize money, and always prizes, etc.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Because of this topic take a look at this: www.ridetheclassics.com
    Sport-adventure in the Caribbean
    www.caribbeanbikeadventure.com
  • I was asked to participate in a survey by the ASO about 6 weeks ago.

The survey was specifically about hosting a Roubaix style road sportive. So its not a mountain bike event. Seems they were trying to gauge the interest and elements of the event that would attract participants.

Because its a french event you can assume that it will be considered a race by most. Personally, if someones not experienced on cobble stones then that's a recipe for disaster.

Having said that, I'm up for it.
  • It for sure ASO who will do the organisation.
    In a few weeks you will be able to make your inscription @ www.customgetaways or www.ridetheclassics.com
    These organisations will have Johan Museeuw to ride with the clients!
    Sport-adventure in the Caribbean
    www.caribbeanbikeadventure.com
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060

The survey was specifically about hosting a Roubaix style road sportive. So its not a mountain bike event. Seems they were trying to gauge the interest and elements of the event that would attract participants.
    If you follow the link to the Roubaix Cycle club you'll see that this year they held the road one and next the MTB version as they've been doing for years. 3000 riders took part the year we did it. The controls were great and there were clubs and riders from all over Europe. From lard arsed Audaxers like me to full racing clubs. What will ASO bring to the party? Probably a higher entry fee for no real gain.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310

If you follow the link to the Roubaix Cycle club you'll see that this year they held the road one and next the MTB version as they've been doing for years. 3000 riders took part the year we did it. The controls were great and there were clubs and riders from all over Europe. From lard arsed Audaxers like me to full racing clubs. What will ASO bring to the party? Probably a higher entry fee for no real gain.

I assume it'll become like the Etape, uber-expensive, hyperorganised and full of wanna-be Cancellara who haven't got a clue on how to ride the cobbles (not to speak about PR cobbles, which are not normal cobbles). What I've found in the audax event, is that most of the entrants could do cobbles... in fact I was below average, in spite of my frequent Flemmish trips.

Now imagine all those Planet X, Bordman, and head to toe premium carbon riders trying to survive Mons en Pevele... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Thought there'd been one for a few years now :?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167

I assume it'll become like the Etape, uber-expensive, hyperorganised and full of wanna-be Cancellara who haven't got a clue on how to ride the cobbles (not to speak about PR cobbles, which are not normal cobbles). What I've found in the audax event, is that most of the entrants could do cobbles... in fact I was below average, in spite of my frequent Flemmish trips.

Now imagine all those Planet X, Bordman, and head to toe premium carbon riders trying to survive Mons en Pevele... :lol:

Two of my mates did the June ride this year. I drove a support car. There was plenty of dodgy riding, and not only from Brits.

I quite like the idea that it is close to the date of the race, like the Flanders sportive.
    Le Blaireau (1)