My new commute - Bath to Swindon

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
So my new commute is pretty awesome, 30 miles each way from Bath to Swindon with some nice hills and lovely scenery. The only problem is a complete lack of SCR. The other (this morning) was a sign on the gym door explaining that the facilities are being improved and will not be available until Friday. Rubbish.

My aim is to do it at least 3 days a week when I am in the office (which ties in well with planning to be in the office a max of 3 days a week) - we'll see how that works in practice because it is a fairly tough commute.

It is so good to be on the bike again, and even better to start the day energised by nearly 2 hours in the saddle.

The only fly in the ointment is the prevailing south wester on my way home. Gr.

Comments

• mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Roastie wrote:
    So my new commute is pretty awesome, 30 miles each way from Bath to Swindon with some nice hills and lovely scenery. The only problem is a complete lack of SCR. The other (this morning) was a sign on the gym door explaining that the facilities are being improved and will not be available until Friday. Rubbish.

That's a nice ride. Not sure I'd be up for 30miles each way for 3days.

My commute is also in the the prevailing wind on the way home. Really grinds you down after a while. :(

Oh and welcome to the Bath area.

Mike
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    Someone I work with commutes from Bath into Swindon but they use the train for most part of the journey. They just cycle to/from each station, taking their bike onto the train.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    30 miles sounds like a very straight route to me - too straight. Do you use the A4?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Roastie wrote:

My aim is to do it at least 3 days a week when I am in the office (which ties in well with planning to be in the office a max of 3 days a week) - we'll see how that works in practice because it is a fairly tough commute.

It is so good to be on the bike again, and even better to start the day energised by nearly 2 hours in the saddle.

Blimey, 180miles a week that's a fair distance for a commute. Are you going to ramp up to it or just jump straight in? I'm assuming you'll pick up your racing as well at some point, so that'll take you near the 1000 a month club. And you want some SCR action on top of that? :shock:

Enjoy the scenery and watch out for motorists who aren't used to seeing cyclists.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Roastie
    @mudcovered: Ta. Btw, where are the off road loops near Bath? Everything seems to require a half hour drive :?

@BSRU: Had orginally intended to do the train, but tried the ride back Monday and enjoyed it so much...
    gabriel959 wrote:
    30 miles sounds like a very straight route to me - too straight. Do you use the A4?
    A bit - between Bath and Chippenham. Pretty quiet that time of the morning.
  • Roastie
    rjsterry wrote:
    I'm assuming you'll pick up your racing as well at some point, so that'll take you near the 1000 a month club.
    Prob won't get to do it every week by the nature of my work - but my intention is to get a good base in before the cross season starts, then work on my speed and strength in the autumn.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Roastie wrote:
    @mudcovered: Ta. Btw, where are the off road loops near Bath? Everything seems to require a half hour drive :?
    Those would be the Bristol trails by Ashton Court? You could ride to them (would take just over an hour).

There are some unofficial trails in the woods next to the A363 around Bathford. There are also some (again unofficial) routes through the woods on the canal towpath at Dundas.
    It has been so long since I did any local offroading I'm somewhat out of date myself so I'd be interested to see what others suggest.

Mike
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Good to hear you're back on the bike matey - suffering from new jobitis with no riding this week - Monday however... Different story!

New company is joining c2w scheme soon and plan to change less used toilet into shower room :D Bonus!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    Roastie wrote:
    ... from Bath to Swindon ... The only problem is a complete lack of SCR.
    I'd say your real problem was going to Swindon. Truly a "polyp on the anus of humanity"
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    Contact bath uni mtb club for off road routes. When I was there we used to have a ride every wednesday afternoon that sets off from the uni and sometimes on weekends as well. John's bikes could probably give you some routes as well.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • re-cycles
    re-cycles Posts: 107
    I'd say your real problem was going to Swindon. Truly a "polyp on the anus of humanity"
    LoL! Coming from a London dweller!

The ride from Swindon to Bath is one I've done a couple of times, not sure I'd fancy it daily though!
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    re-cycles wrote:

The ride from Swindon to Bath is one I've done a couple of times, not sure I'd fancy it daily though!

please don't tell me you just compared Swindon to London? :shock:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Let me remind you - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Wen

I live in Swindon so I'm entitled 8)
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Roastie wrote:

Good to see somebody's making an effort in the Wurzle Land :)

Last Friday, at Bristol Temple Meads station, London bound, a roadie put his Specialized Allez elite into the guards van, whilst we both complained about how long it took the MTB boys to wrestle their bikes onto the train. It struck me as odd he didn't bother removing his helmet as we pulled out of the station.... until he got off at Bath :?
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Roastie wrote:

@BSRU: Had orginally intended to do the train, but tried the ride back Monday and enjoyed it so much...
    gabriel959 wrote:
    A bit - between Bath and Chippenham. Pretty quiet that time of the morning.

There should be plenty of trails in the area, the MBUK office is just down the road in Bristol and they always used to drone on about the quality trails in the locality. Good to see you're back n the game dude, and have seen the light and have decided to do some proper off-roading, none of this perverted cross nonsense!

Reads full thread - so you're going back to the odd ways with cross, it's just wrong I tell you.

Let us know how you get on with racing the wurzles, Crystal Palace has been carnage recently, I've never seen so many crashes :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Someone mention bath uni?? :D

Contact details for our cycling club here;
    http://www.bathstudent.com/sport/clubs/cycling/

Not had many dealings with them (only in the first year of uni for about a fortnight) but they generally seem like quite sound blokes/blokettes.
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    re-cycles wrote:

Lived(?) and worked in Swindon for two months before I cracked, couldn't take it anymore. Quit my job and moved to London... and yes, that was an improvement :shock:

Although riding outside Swindon was pleasant. Did quite a few training rides to Bath and Oxford.
  • Roastie
    Rich158 wrote:
    Reads full thread - so you're going back to the odd ways with cross, it's just wrong I tell you.
    :D I should add that my single speed full rigid project is well underway. :)
    Rich158 wrote:
    Let us know how you get on with racing the wurzles, Crystal Palace has been carnage recently, I've never seen so many crashes :shock:
    Will do - though from my previous experience of racing at Castle Combe, it is going go hurt. I think I'll do some crits towards the end of the season to help prepare myself for a winter of dark acts. ;)
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Does that mean we'll see you at occasional boozings?
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • rjsterry
    Roastie, I seem to remember reading in an old copy of CW about an on/off road route around Dundry Hill that Oli Beckinsale uses for training. I may have that muddled up, but I'm fairly sure there are a few bridleways over that way, and Dundry is a fair climb. Bit of a ride from bath, but a good one for the weekends.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Roastie
    sarajoy wrote:
    Does that mean we'll see you at occasional boozings?
    I certainly hope so! :)
    rjsterry wrote:
    Roastie, I seem to remember reading in an old copy of CW about an on/off road route around Dundry Hill that Oli Beckinsale uses for training. I may have that muddled up, but I'm fairly sure there are a few bridleways over that way, and Dundry is a fair climb. Bit of a ride from bath, but a good one for the weekends.
    Cool, thanks for the heads-up - I'll poke around and see what I can find.
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Roastie
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rock on! Ta, will have to give that a whirl. MTB or cross ... hmmm ...