Suggestions for next year's TdF

No_Ta_Doctor
No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,559
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Given the success of adding a smidgeon of pave to the course yesterday, providing a test of bikemanship other than climbing/TTing for the GC and by all accounts (other than the riders') a fine spectacle, what additions to the race would you like to see for next year?

Perhaps a section where they're forced to mount the pavement and ride through a busy shopping area, messenger style. with kerb hops, weaving through bollards, nipping through narrow alleyways etc?

Or an "authorised short cut" where riders could choose to pop through a hedge, over a couple of fields and through a small coppice to try and get ahead of a slightly longer tarmac route (some of the ancient cheating in the TdF did actually involve short cuts).

Or maybe a water hazzard or some BMX style jumps?

Spice it up, says I!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    When the Giro prologue was held in Venice a year or so ago, I was not alone at being disappointed by the lack of pedalos.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:
    When the Giro prologue was held in Venice a year or so ago, I was not alone at being disappointed by the lack of pedalos.

Exceptionally good call. A stage start in Dover perhaps, finish in Calais?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:

Exceptionally good call. A stage start in Dover perhaps, finish in Calais?
    Armstrong to win that then.
    He was the Tri-Athlete Champ.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Final stage on the Champs Elysee....no road closure. Let them compete with traffic like the rest of us.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Wall of Death.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Its been rumoured for a while that next years tour will run through Brittany and the Vendee - including a return to the Passage Du Gois.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,813
    uphill TTT prologue with a 25% gradient

time taken on the 7th man
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    downhill prologue no gear bigger than 54 inches
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    cobbles al la s3 but in the final week
  • mididoctors
    300km stage through the vosges and jura
  • mididoctors
    pursuit TT on road bikes (you can collaborate)

cat 1-2 climb followed downhill and 20+k of flat
  • Sidi
    Sidi Posts: 21
    Award points for causing crashes, demolition derby style. should suit Cav :lol:
    Trek 1.7 08

Unshaved newbie roadie
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    Quite like the idea of a cross country time trial. Free choice of bikes, i.e mountain, cyclocross, some fancy purose built hybrid. Something to please Cuddles, or Lars Boom.
    That would be nice. :wink:
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    A downhill tt on big travel mountain bikes?

Le mans style stage starts?
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Unicycles?
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    seeing as people are now cheating with electric motors... allow people to use motors but they have to ride a C5

http://www.sinclairc5.com/
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    OK, a distance event, over 8 hours on a motorway, but with all riders starting together. You'd have to make a breakaway to win it, but no line to cross, only a time limit. Time for GC purposes calculated as percentage of the winner's distance you'd covered (you only do 50% of his distance you get 16 hours).

Though this particular signature has got me thinking:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Hmmmmm......
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    DesWeller wrote:
    Wall of Death.
    tumblr_l2b9s1AYVu1qbxnpgo1_400.jpg
    (I wonder what those two spectators in the front row were thinking?)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    bompington wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Wall of Death.
    tumblr_l2b9s1AYVu1qbxnpgo1_400.jpg
    (I wonder what those two spectators in the front row were thinking?)

But think how much better that would be with an entire peloton on it.

Then add a bit of Rollerball to it:

1800112776p.jpg
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    A TT starting in Bedoin and ending in Carpentras, up and down the Ventoux. Fab C can then show us some epic descending and Frank and Andy can fall off again!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Perhaps on the final day into Paris we could start each rider at his time after the yellow jersey, make it about 200km, whoever crosses the line first wins the whole thing. Not a time trial, if you catch someone you can sit on his wheel or work with him.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Tthe whole pr route as a stage all 60km of pave no gay ass 12 like yesterday. As the the tour winner should be good at everything.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    What about getting a pile of preening fanboi's to chase their favourite riders around in a very camp Benny Hill style?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • A pave TTT
    Mountain ITT

Every course to be hilly or mountainous! There's no point in watching flat courses. Sprinters might like it but let them compete over sprint points mid-stage rather then sprinting at the end of the stage. Give it to the break away's :)
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    An ITT around the Monacp Grand Prix circuit.

During the race....

Strava is not Zen.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    no refuelling and a compulsory tyre change...
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Final stage on the Champs Elysee....no road closure. Let them compete with traffic like the rest of us.

LOL!! Really made me laugh.

I'd like to see a downhill TT on Alpe d'Huez. It's time to return to the Alpe after 2 years... why not make it interesting!
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Duffield to be the Tour announcer to celebrate his 80th birthday :lol:
    www.dotcycling.com
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    A 7km uphill prologue.