- Service £99
    - Brake blocks - £4.99
    - Brake cables - £3.98
    - Gear cables - £3.98
    - BB cups - £29.99
    - 50T chain ring - £46.39
    - Cassette £29.99

Total - £243.31

At the risk of coming across as a pedantic arse, that doesn't add up - the total is £218.32.

Unless there's a £24.99 thing that's not included...which I'm guessing is the case.

Which makes me a pedantic arse!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Sounds like a chain's missing from that list.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    lastant wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Right, the results are in:

- Service £99
    - Brake blocks - £4.99
    - Brake cables - £3.98
    - Gear cables - £3.98
    - BB cups - £29.99
    - 50T chain ring - £46.39
    - Cassette £29.99

Total - £243.31

At the risk of coming across as a pedantic ars*, that doesn't add up - the total is £218.32.

Unless there's a £24.99 thing that's not included...which I'm guessing is the case.

Which makes me a pedantic ars*!

I was going to say this but didn't want to become the pedantic ars* :lol: :oops:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Unfortunately the pedantic ars* are right and the chain is missing. I can't believe you added it up though lastant! That's not just pedantic, that's positively anal!

The Ultegra rear cassette was around £50 and pretty pointless for the commuter
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Unfortunately the pedantic ars* are right and the chain is missing. I can't believe you added it up though lastant! That's not just pedantic, that's positively anal!

Ha ha...fair to say I've got more than my fair share of OCD behaviours, and I've had a couple of people wonder if perhaps I was a little autistic. Apparently it's not 'normal' to seperate M&Ms out into their colour groups...who knew?! :D

I only spotted it as a quick look at the bottom lot added up to around £110, the top bit was £100ish and the bits in the middle were around £13 - closer to £225 than £250.

But yes, it makes me incredibly anal!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Really the lesson of this thread is do your own bike servicing. It's not hard or time consuming if you keep on top of it. That fact that the OP has spent £413 on servicing a bike he bought for £540 which was probably only worth £150 tops before servicing shows how much this bike has really cost him. A small fortune, money he could have spent on something else, such as a new jersey or cycling shorts :wink: . Perhaps he should splash out on a basic bike maintenance course and toolkit. It would be a wise move IMHO. Plus if he has kids he could involve his kids and teach them how to maintain their bikes. Great quality time he could savour for ever .........
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    lastant wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Ha ha...fair to say I've got more than my fair share of OCD behaviours, and I've had a couple of people wonder if perhaps I was a little autistic. Apparently it's not 'normal' to seperate M&Ms out into their colour groups...who knew?! :D

I only spotted it as a quick look at the bottom lot added up to around £110, the top bit was £100ish and the bits in the middle were around £13 - closer to £225 than £250.

Numbers make me feel safe.
    and he was only half joking. I think you'd like him, lastant.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    lastant wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

I get the same asumptions of me lol, the fact i see pictures in my head for days of the week and months of the year, and all things need to be the same and in line. Also i didnt realise it was a little strange to tap the door three times when i leave the house and also have to get dressed the same way every day :(

back on topic, most general maintenance is easy enough to do with time and patience and ive only had a couple of things done from the lbs. this was 2 spokes that were snapped, until i have a warm environment and truing stand etc ill pay the £8 labour for this and the other was when my bb gave in, stuff like that id rather them do as they will get it upto proper tension etc, until i can afford my workshop, also known as the garage, there is a drive for the car :)