Good all round helmet

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
The helmet I currently have is quite old and not very well ventilated (it's one of these) so whilst I love it for saving me from a very sore head a month ago I'm going to get a new one.

Other than the shape and visor/no visor what is the difference between a road and MTB helmet. And can anyone recommend one that would be good for both MTBing and roading (budget < £40).

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    roundhead.jpg

Perfect, no? Oh...*

* Note to self: must formulate reply based on post rather than just thread title
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    After compliance with safety standards, the most important thing is fit. Would suggest a trip to the LBS and try on a variety of models in your budget.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :lol::lol:

Sorry Suz, I've got no reccs.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    suzyb wrote:
    Other than the shape and visor/no visor what is the difference between a road and MTB helmet. And can anyone recommend one that would be good for both MTBing and roading (budget < £40).

IMO it's more a marketing ploy than anything else when a helmet is sold as MTB or road specific. Obvious exceptions aside like full-face helmets and TT helmets, there's no reason why a standard helmet can't be used for both mountain biking and road biking.

You should be fine with any of the big brands. I would go with Gussio's suggestion, and also throw personal preference into the equation.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Giro Indicator? - use mine for commute and MTB - not expensive cool and light :)
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    suzyb wrote:
    The helmet I currently have is quite old and not very well ventilated (it's one of these) so whilst I love it for saving me from a very sore head a month ago I'm going to get a new one.

I think that after extensive research Melons were found to be best
  • suzyb
    Gussio wrote:
    After compliance with safety standards, the most important thing is fit. Would suggest a trip to the LBS and try on a variety of models in your budget.
    I have to admit I've always thought this is a bit confusing. Other than one that is the wrong size for your head surely they should all "fit" the same.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They don't all fit the same, not by a long shot. Just slight differences in the shape of the helmet between brands, how they are measured, depth etc can mean two helmets of the same nominal size will fit markedly different. Bell for example seem to suit those with wider heads.

Fit is the most important thing. Pay more and you do however get better retention systems. Also lighter weight and improved venting.

All are made to a minimum safety standard, usually the EN 1078. The Snell ratings are a bit more thoroughly tested.
  • suzyb wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    I have to admit I've always thought this is a bit confusing. Other than one that is the wrong size for your head surely they should all "fit" the same.

In my experience the shape can be different (narrower/longer or broader and shorter). Some helmets fit me and others seem to have the right size in terms of diameter but the shape is all wrong.

Maybe my heads just a weird shape.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    If I were you, I'd go for a blue one. They look more diginified.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I have one of these (mine's the turquoisy one, well the 2009 version thereof) - fits me nicely :)

Edit: Doh, a link might help: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=16576

I wanted a lighter coloured helmet for visibility, and a peak to keep the sun/rain out my eyes (don't like wearing glasses)... It happened to be a women's one - wouldn't know if that makes it a better fit or what...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • suzyb
    supersonic wrote:
    They don't all fit the same, not by a long shot. Just slight differences in the shape of the helmet between brands, how they are measured, depth etc can mean two helmets of the same nominal size will fit markedly different. Bell for example seem to suit those with wider heads.
    That makes sense I guess :wink:

Does having a visor make it more difficult to see when riding drops.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I suppose it depends on your exact set up and the helmet - luckily all visors are removable anyway.

If you have a big 'ead like me lol, take a look at the Bell Slant. Fairly light, great venting, quite deep at the back for extra coverage, good retention system, spare pads. Twas the only one in the whole of Halfords that fit me lol.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Yes, IMO visors make it harder to see when riding a road bike.

When I got my new helmet, I sopent half an hour in Condor trying on EVERY SINGLE helmet and narrowing it down. In the end, I went for the one that was most comfy that didn't make me look too ridiculous - a Met Inferno - and bought in online where it was 35% cheaper than in Condor.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    If you can stretch another £10 then the Giro Hex is a good MTB helmet http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=44590. Can also be used on the road if you don't mind the styling. The visor doesn't cause too much problem unless you are riding on drops.

Sarajoy - glasses give protection from airborne debris as well as sun light. I'll ride without a helmet but I'd think twice about not wearing glasses. You're more likely (in my imagination :D ) to get grit thrown up by cars or insects flying into you than falling off.
    Steve C
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    sc999cs wrote:
    Sarajoy - glasses give protection from airborne debris as well as sun light. I'll ride without a helmet but I'd think twice about not wearing glasses. You're more likely (in my imagination :D ) to get grit thrown up by cars or insects flying into you than falling off.

I'm not commenting on the relative safety of and/or glasses, only that I happen to wear a lid and dislike wearing glasses.. I find them uncomfortable, foggy, and if in the rain - unclear... :) I do get the odd bug or bit of dust but it's rare and I cry it out soon enough ;)
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Fair enough. Maybe it's because I also wear glasses to see (I'm short sighted) that I feel more comfortable with them and choose to wear a pair of glasses when I have my contact lenses in. Harder to blink out grit with contacts.

Just think though - when every one gets bored arguing about helmets we can have glasses arguments instead (or has that happened while I've been away from the forum?) :twisted:

Have fun.
    Steve C
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'm another Indicator wearer which is the same helmet as Sarajoy wears just in blokey colours. It does come with a visor but I don't have any issues riding on my road bike with the visor.
    Final decision is down to comfort & fit and best bought in a shop rather than online, I went tio Evans who pricematched and dropped £6 off the £30 price.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    I check for chinstrap buckles (the plastic bits that sit under each ear) that are tight enough to retain my adjustments.
    Only then do I try out helmets for good fit.
    It's disappointing how many helmets have straps that lose adjustment after a few uses.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    suzyb wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Yes - I found I got a crick in my neck first time I rode 50+ miles on drops so I got one of these to use on the road bike http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/images/prod_15198.jpg -better fit and lighter than the Giro
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Specialized do not differentiate between road and MTB helmets. They come with an easily removable visor (e.g. Specialized Align) so all you need to do is check fit.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    suzyb wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Yes - I found I got a crick in my neck first time I rode 50+ miles on drops so I got one of these to use on the road bike http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/images/prod_15198.jpg -better fit and lighter than the Giro

But very handy when riding into low sun or headlights - pop 'em on and off as required.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Graham Taylor. Seems like a pretty decent bloke, but when he was a manager, he was a right helm....

Oh, I think I misunderstood the question.