Converting drop bars bike to straight/comfort bars

Mr Tom
Mr Tom Posts: 66
edited July 2010 in The workshop
I got a nice Orbit fast-tour bike a few years back. I've done a few longer trips on it, but at the moment need a bike for commuting and getting around town. I could never get used to the drop bars on the Orbit for the commute to work and in the end gave up cycling in.

So. I'm wondering if it would work out to switch the bars, stem and brakes (shifters are frame mounted) or if I might be better to keep the Orbit as it is and look at buying another bike like a hybrid for short trips. I'd like to see how I got on riding to work on a more relaxed riding position. I like to think I'll do longer rides in the future, so not keen on the idea of selling the Orbit.

Anyone have any experience of making this kind of swap?
Orbit Fast Tour
Mondia 96 (Belgian 'Dutch' bike)
Ridgeback Envoy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    its going to cost a bit to convert.

I would get a quote from a shop for the new parts and labour and then have a good long think.

and maybe see if they have any used bikes that my do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mr Tom
    Mr Tom Posts: 66
    Thanks, I think you're right. Also, the Orbit is such a nice bike I don't really want to mess about with it if I don't have to. I'll look at picking up a nice second hand hybrid bike instead. Also got a really old Muddy Fox in the garden which could do if I fix it up a bit!
    Orbit Fast Tour
    Mondia 96 (Belgian 'Dutch' bike)
    Ridgeback Envoy