Rock Shox Reba psi - help!!

swelsbyuk
swelsbyuk Posts: 421
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
I have a Rockrider 8.2 with Rock Shox Reba air forks. I also have a pump for the fork - unfortunately the manual is long gone.

Originally, the bike shop set up my forks but, when bored at the weekend, I put them to 200psi (they were around 120). Now them seem quite unresponsive.

Very roughly, what psi should I be looking at? I'm 13 stone if that matters any!

Many thanks for any help received.

Comments

• you need to set them so you have around 25% sag.

200psi sounds miles too high.
  • swelsbyuk
    swelsbyuk Posts: 421
    I agree - it feels too high too!

Excuse my (utter) ignorance - what do you mean by 25% sag?

Am I better just putting it back to 120?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    you can download manuals from the Sram website. Also for advise on fork setup look in the FAQs
  • I'm 5'11, 170lbs and run them at around 85 psi which gives just a bit over 20% sag, 200 psi is a lot...
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    swelsbyuk wrote:
    I agree - it feels too high too!

Excuse my (utter) ignorance - what do you mean by 25% sag?

Am I better just putting it back to 120?

You have 120mm of travel on the forks, when you sit on the bike the forks should compress by 25% that's 30mm.

Adjust the air pressure to achieve this.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    I have 3 and a touch stone on you and I run mine at 135 over 140. Dual air. My manuel says Rider weight 160-180lb = 105-120 psi. or 150-165psi Solo air. If you can put air in at the bottom of the fork too its dual air if top only its solo air. Best to put enough in to make the forks drop by a quarter when your sitting still on the bike.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    I'm 280lbs and mine are nowhere near 200psi!

Is there not a table printed on the back of the forks? There was on my recon airs.
  • MarkLG
    MarkLG Posts: 189
    The recommended pressures in the RS manual is a bit high to get the required sag. For your weight the recommended pressure is 120psi, but you'll probably find 100-110 psi gets you closer to 20/25% sag.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    forget the numbers just set the sag as needed.

as per the info in the FAQS.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown