Holy fork travel plushness batman

Ransaka
Ransaka Posts: 474
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Have installed my new (2nd hand) 2010 Reba SLs which have replaced the stock Dart 1 that came with the bike. Holy crap what a difference.
I wasn't sure what the difference would be but I figured it'd be a bit smoother.
It's another world, another epic, smooth, lighter world (with cooler squidy sound effects).
Awesomeness personified.
Now to go buy some freeride monster like a Mondraker Prayer Coil and see what the difference is there too :twisted:

Comments

• I also have Rebas and i also build bikes that come stocked with Dart 1 forks. Everytime I try these bikes after a build it makes my expenditure on the rebas feel completely worth it, they are worlds apart...

I have never ridden a bike with Dart 1's on a trail though, don't think I am missing out on too much...
  • dan shard
    dan shard Posts: 722
    Just wait till the oil seal goes and it locks out at 50mm travel half way round a trail centre.

Thats really fun! :D
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    I bought some second hand REBAs (2007 I think) last year and rode them HARD through a very wet winter. They are still totally plush with ZERO friction, almost incredibly smooth. Still about 100mm of travel. No leaks whatsoever.
    No maintenance so far and they work perfectly. They cost me £92 in November 2009.
    Simply the best forks on the market for VFM IMO, or maybe sheer luck.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    dan shard wrote:
    Just wait till the oil seal goes and it locks out at 50mm travel half way round a trail centre.

Thats really fun! :D

Still better than the Darts! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Anything's better than the darts (my girlfriend has them on her bike) And the Rebas are pretty sweet, but if you want really plush try and find a 36 Fox Vanilla to have a go on- plushess fork I have ever had the pleasure of riding, shame it's way out of my price range!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    Anything's better than the darts (my girlfriend has them on her bike) And the Rebas are pretty sweet, but if you want really plush try and find a 36 Fox Vanilla to have a go on- plushess fork I have ever had the pleasure of riding, shame it's way out of my price range!

Hom much hard they though ? I bet they're around £500 vs £250 for new REBAs. At twice the price they seriously need to add something to the mix. Not to mention second hand price difference.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I second the 36. I'm blown away by how plush the 36 float is, I just cannot imagine how the coil sprung version would feel!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    my revs are plush, wayyyyy better than the toras and judy's i had in the past (anyone remember the judys btw???? :lol: they were sprung by dogturds :lol: ) although having tried the latest fox forks im mega impressed by them, although i havent long enough on a set of blackbox revs to compare them too.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    nickfrog wrote:

Hom much hard they though ? I bet they're around £500 vs £250 for new REBAs. At twice the price they seriously need to add something to the mix. Not to mention second hand price difference.

I completely agree. They're blooming expensive! All i'm saying is that just in terms of plushness they are by far the best I have tried and if I was making a 'money no object' build they would be my weapon of choice.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    True, fox are expensive, VERY expensive. I couldn't really afford mine, but luckily, a nice Nigerian fellow put a load of money in my bank account for me.
    He seemed very frustrated, as he's been trying to find someone to perform a random act of kindness for, for ages, but everyone kept ignoring him, or telling him to go f*** himself.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Most RS forks come from the factory with a tight bush and seals. They can take a while to wear in, but when they do, many rivals forks are wearing out. RS bushings are very good now.
  • mackie1
    mackie1 Posts: 95
    I did similar on my old bike. Dart 3s to (2009) Reba SLs. I think it saved about a kilo in weight and felt soo much nicer.

I've got 2010 Revelations Teams on my new bike and they are great, but still loosening up a bit.