Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general

Sudden abundance of local riders and other ponderings.

ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Has anyone else noticed a sudden abundance of riders on their local trails? I never saw another MTBer all winter up until probably a couple of months ago and now i'm seeing 2 or 3 per ride. They're all big girls blouses! I was riding all winter, through snow and all!

I also today learnt that long grass CAN draw blood if you're riding fast enough! :lol:
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Posts

  • SamHillierSamHillier Posts: 24
    very true about the blood and nettle stings all over your legs!!
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    And arms!!
    Production Privee Shan

    B'Twin Triban 5
  • GHillGHill Posts: 2,402
    I like to call them veggie wraps :D
  • As if!! whinlatter was dead at the weekend!
  • EarlofBarnetEarlofBarnet Posts: 673
    As if!! whinlatter was dead at the weekend!

    Always nice when its quiet at Whinlatter. Spoils it a bit when there's traffic about (especially on the downhills!).
  • fletch8928fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Nope.

    Seen 2 walkers and 3 riders on my routes this year. I expect to see loads of people soon. Usually with labs or springers and carrying big guns. Thats when I head out in other directions.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • stubsstubs Posts: 5,001
    Just got back from a quick spin in the local woods and I stopped to help out a couple of lads who were having a chain nightmare. Got chatting they both had sparkly new bikes off the ride to work scheme and are complete newbies but are loving it. Pointed them in the direction of this forum and swapped phone numbers.

    Going to try and organise a ride this weekend show them how an expert does things. :lol:

    I will have them scoffing pies, biscuits, cakes and beer in no time and turn them into proper mountain bikers :twisted:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • fletch8928fletch8928 Posts: 794
    stubs wrote:
    Just got back from a quick spin in the local woods and I stopped to help out a couple of lads who were having a chain nightmare. Got chatting they both had sparkly new bikes off the ride to work scheme and are complete newbies but are loving it. Pointed them in the direction of this forum and swapped phone numbers.

    Going to try and organise a ride this weekend show them how an expert does things. :lol:

    I will have them scoffing pies, biscuits, cakes and beer in no time and turn them into proper mountain bikers :twisted:

    Thats is one of the nicest things I have heard in along time (mountain biking related). Good work.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Happy HarryHappy Harry Posts: 345
    stubs wrote:
    I will have them scoffing pies, biscuits, cakes and beer in no time and turn them into proper mountain bikers :twisted:
    homer_mmm.jpgMmmm ... proper mountain bikers ... I think I'm finally ready :D

    All I met today was a farm girl in a pick-up looking for stray cows and an army communications group hiding in a forest near Salisbury Plain. I couldn't understand the need for camouflage when you could hear their generator from about a mile away.

    But I found the nettles bad today as well. I'm still tingling and with cuts on both arms and legs from brambles. It's getting dangerous out there!
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • Boy LardBoy Lard Posts: 445
    I've seen quite a few people out over the weekend, but Sunday evening it was really quiet. The only person I saw in my 16 mile circuit, was a very pretty girl, who was out jogging with her ipod on. As she got closer she unplugged from said ipod and stopped to chat. I nearly fell off my bike at the unexpectedness, of 1) ipod junkie unplugging to be civil, 2) pretty girl talking to me of her own free will. I wish I hadn't been so out of breath I could barely speak, ah well. Strange, I don't think I mentioned that to the wife.
  • spongtasticspongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Yes, loads more on my quick 10 mile route at home, all the gear no idea blokes puffing round the totally flat and dry trails on full sussers with big draggy tyres. On the lunchtime/afterwork routes I've met one or two over the last few weeks whereas I'd never see anybody.

    But there has been a MASSIVE increase in twitchers and redsocks, I really wish they'd learn that they don't own the whole path especially when it's a 5m wide bridleway.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

    Who are you calling inbred?
  • .blitz.blitz Posts: 6,197
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed a sudden abundance of riders on their local trails? I never saw another MTBer all winter up until probably a couple of months ago and now i'm seeing 2 or 3 per ride.
    Jesus we are practically queuing up to go round Follow The Monkey :(
  • lawmanlawman Posts: 6,868
    i was expecting to be running over walkers every five seconds in the peaks at the weekend, but everry i saw was an mtb'er, not a rambler to be seen :D
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    lawman wrote:
    i was expecting to be running over walkers every five seconds in the peaks at the weekend, but everry i saw was an mtb'er, not a rambler to be seen :D
    The way it should be ;)
    Production Privee Shan

    B'Twin Triban 5
Sign In or Register to comment.