First time commuter - how do I cope with this scenario?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I've decided to commute to work by bike on an occasional basis (Doncaster to Wakefield- about 20 miles one way) and have been checking out the route each day as I drive in and back.

Most of it seems fine but one part of the town centre is concerning me as I've never ridden to work before. The road splits into 3 lanes for about 300yds. The 2 lanes to the right go the way I want to go, the left lane eventually forks off in another direction. A set of lights is located right before the roads split.

Where do I position myself when the road becomes three lanes?

Left hand lane then move over when I get to the lights? Assuming they're on red when I get there.

Middle lane and hold up the traffic for a bit?

Somewhere between the left and middle lane scraping paint off doors as I go?

Bit worried by this as I expect the first few times I'll ride like I'm still in a car and make the wrong choice.

Cheers

Tom

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Depends on the speed of the traffic. I would try to match the speed of the traffic, allowing you to ride in the middle of the carriageway without slowing anyone else down; when it splits to three lanes, just move over to the middle lane and ride down the middle of that.

If traffic is a bit faster (up to about 30), do the same thing and accept that you'll be holding other road users up a tiny bit.

If traffic is slower than you, filter either between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd lanes, being careful not to get yourself into a dangerous position or p*ss anyone off.

If traffic is a lot faster (eg 60mph) consider using pedestrian crossing (on foot).

In general, matching the speed of traffic is a winner if you can do it...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Check behind give a clear signal and move into the middle lane well before the junction - 50-75m
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    You might also find you can time it so that you arrive when the lights are red. From there you filter to the front of the lights and take the best position.

There's a similar road I take in London (Evelyn St going south) where I need to get into the middle or right lane.

The first time I attempted this I tried to to stay in the left lane after the lights, and try to move into the middle lane. I found this to be rather dangerous. Couldn't keep up with the traffic, and just felt dodgy. Timing it so I arrive when the lights are red/amber means I can easily get into the right lane :)
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Two options. (1) along the dotted line between left and middle lane; (2) next to the kerb on the r/hand side of the r/hand lane.

As TOTGB says, it all depends on the ambient traffic speed. If it's chokka and queuing, cut between the cars and use option (1). Easy.

OTOH, if it's free flowing and fast, with a 50+ limit, I think I'd try to find another route.

In between those possibilities, take your pick. In flowing traffic the most dangerous aspect will be getting into position (1) or (2), because you'll have to cross lanes of traffic; the bigger the speed difference between you and the cars, the more dangerous crossing the lanes will be. The next most dangerous bit will be being in those positions, because you may get clipped.

Another option, already mentioned, is to stay on the left of the left lane. If the lights are red when you arrive at the split, pull across the stationary traffic. If they're not, pull up and wait for them to change, then pull across.

It all depends on the traffic, see?
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Bit worried by this as I expect the first few times I'll ride like I'm still in a car and make the wrong choice.

Actually, assuming you're a halfway decent driver, riding like you drive isn't a bad idea at all. Car drivers like predictable road users, and if you act like you're a car, then basically you're predictable.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gordon861
    gordon861 Posts: 77
    Take the space of a car as you are entitled to and try not to be intimidated out of the way, if you have the energy at the time that'll be a good location to put on the extra spurt of speed.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Thanks guys. Traffic in this spot is pretty slow but can be a bit worrying when the lights go green and everyone takes off. I'll keep on assessing it as I drive through - not riding for a week or so yet.

Tom
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    depending on speed of traffic then dotted white line between left and middle lane (keeping on the right hand side of the line so traffic knows where you are going) but always, always safety first and pick a different route if its too dangerous.

I guess that as you mention it's through town the speed limit is circa 30 so hopefully you will be okay
    FCN = 4
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I've decided to commute to work by bike on an occasional basis (Doncaster to Wakefield- about 20 miles one way) and have been checking out the route each day as I drive in and back.

Most of it seems fine but one part of the town centre is concerning me as I've never ridden to work before. The road splits into 3 lanes for about 300yds. The 2 lanes to the right go the way I want to go, the left lane eventually forks off in another direction. A set of lights is located right before the roads split.

Where do I position myself when the road becomes three lanes?
    Tom

I reckon that this utterly depends on the speed of the traffic... I would aim to be in the middle lane if I could keep up with traffic.

If the traffic is too fast I would do something else. I don't hold with this "you have a right to be there" stand, drivers are apt to do silly stuff at the best of times and having someone holding them up exacerbates this.

I have a couple of these on my way home...One at the top of Archway Road which is a nasty junction, and a simpler one in Whetstone which is three lanes or which the leftmost peels left, but annoyingly plenty of drivers in the left lane ignore the road markings and go straight on...
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    +1 on positioning yourself like a car.

As long as you change lanes when it's safe and make clear signals then it's by far the safest way.

If traffic is moving too fast for you to keep up then I would hog the white line between the lanes.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Remember, you can always get off at the lights and push your bike across the road (assuming there are pavements) to get to the lane you want and then start cycling again until you get your confidence up.
    Steve C
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    The point is whatever you do check behind give a clear signal before you do it then act decisively. I have a similar junction and I usually take the left side of the middle lane as Greg suggested