Cyclist hit by Taxi, Tooley St, Sth London today

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Was trotting along to a meeting when I saw a young lady pass me on an old steelie; moments later there was a crunch and a loud scream - just as she passed a set of lights (on green AFAIK) she was hit by a taxi who had done a u-turn in that time honoured fashion and hit her

Didn't hang around - I wasn't a witness and couldn't help (lots of people around) but hope she's OK - fingers crossed.

Hope the £$%^ in the Taxi gets what's coming as well :evil: .

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I've been almost caught out by Taxi's performing that manoeuvre numerous times. So dangerous. Hope she's alright.
  • gordon861
    gordon861 Posts: 77
    I got caught by a cab doing a u-turn on my motorbike about 8 weeks ago, luckily I had a cam fitted to the bars and caught it all on film. Just waiting for the payout now before I can upload it to the web.

Hope she's OK.
  • diplomacy
    diplomacy Posts: 34
    always unpleasant to hear this kind of thing, and of course i hope nobody was injured.

but i reckon the guys at CSI Bermondsey might disagree about you not being a witness - the information you have about the lead up could theoretically be important in a legal case further down the road.

if you see witness appeal boards go up you might think about getting in touch with them.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    diplomacy wrote:
    the guys at CSI Bermondsey

I've seen that show. It's the one where they travel to the crime scene by bus, and share one computer that runs DOS and WordPerfect 5.1 that solves all their crimes.

I love it.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    SecretSam wrote:
    Was trotting along to a meeting when I saw a young lady pass me on an old steelie.

So you can confirm she was well immediately preceding the accident :D.

Seems to me you are a witness.
  • secretsam
    How can I be a witness? I've done the whole witness thing before (motorbike vs car, car clearly at fault) but I didn't actually see the accident - I heard it and turned around and saw what had happened. And the dozen or so people rushing to help...who were no doubt all witnesses.

Am down that way later today so will check out for boards, just hope she was OK.

• cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    Greg66 wrote:
    diplomacy wrote:
    the guys at CSI Bermondsey

I've seen that show. It's the one where they travel to the crime scene by bus, and share one computer that runs DOS and WordPerfect 5.1 that solves all their crimes.

I love it.

firstly I hope the lady is ok, I cycle that road daily and often see taxis doing that move

hey, what channel is CSI Bermondsey on? can't believe I've been missing another CSI version!
  • Out of interest, where abouts on Tooley St was this? Which direction was the cyclist heading?
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    gordon861 wrote:
    I got caught by a cab doing a u-turn on my motorbike ....

Why let a cab use your motorbike? :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • gordon861
    spen666 wrote:
    gordon861 wrote:
    I got caught by a cab doing a u-turn on my motorbike ....

Why let a cab use your motorbike? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yea I saw that the wording wasn't the clearest when I posted it but figured what the hell.

Either
    1. I was doing a u-turn and hit the cab.
    2. The cab was riding the motorbike. (well done didn't think of that one)
    3. The cab did a u-turn and caused me to have an accident on my motorbike. (<--- what happened)

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've almost been hit by black cab drivers on Tooley St in the past. I came left from London Br once, Tooley St starts going downhill from there and a black cab suddenly threw a U in front of me coming uphill from the other way. I slammed the brakes on and managed to stop. Another time a black cab past me and then immediately pulled in to pick up a fare forcing me to make a choice - either slam into the back of him or jump onto the pavement. I chose the latter option and ended up almost smacking straight into the fare the cab had stopped for. Shouted at the cabbie but he just shouted back at me as thought it was my fault! Bloody loonies some of them, not quite as bad as some minicabs but not that far off!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    They are a bloody menace, i very nearly got taken out on Borough high street when the passengers decided to alight whilst the cab was stuck in traffic (i was in the bus lane), the passengers just opened the door without looking and caused me to lock up and do some fancy swerving manouveres. I didn't think they were allowed to drop off passengers without pulling into the kerb.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Bloody loonies some of them, not quite as bad as some minicabs but not that far off!

Worse IMHO. Black cab drivers feel they have some special dispensation to do whatever they like and that they are the oil that keeps the capital turning.

Actually, if they were abolished and we had to rely on minicabs then very, very few people would actually notice.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gordon861
    The major problem with Black Cabs is that they do have a number of special dispensations in London, like stopping anywhere and being allowed to pull u-turns almost anywhere. They just assume that everyone else will get out of their way. We had one try and force his way into a column of bikes today until we got a buch of riders around him to stop him going anywhere.
  • Noclue wrote:
    They are a bloody menace, i very nearly got taken out on Borough high street when the passengers decided to alight whilst the cab was stuck in traffic (i was in the bus lane), the passengers just opened the door without looking and caused me to lock up and do some fancy swearing manouveres. I didn't think they were allowed to drop off passengers without pulling into the kerb.

Fixed that for you! :lol:
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I don't think that Black cabs are a problem - better than Addison Lee by miles - Big black people mover with Addison lee on the back = danger

I did once have a rolling "conversation" through the Blackfriars underpass. Cabbie thought my three feet out from the kerb was 2.5 feet too far and told me so.

I explained that he could ge feck himself.

he was joined in by a crappy moped rider.....

We exchanged views and opinions for a while..... It was a pleasant distraction
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • gordon861
    Speaking of Addison Lee, are they in theory just mini cabs with matching paint jobs?

Because a hell of a lot of them seem to think that they are allowed to use the M4 Bus Lane to come in from Heathrow, do they try to use them in town as well?
  • secretsam
    Out of interest, where abouts on Tooley St was this? Which direction was the cyclist heading?

Apols for delay, been busy! Direction Borough High St, not far down - near where two other roads join - nearly opposite the Hilton hotel??? (I'm not local to there so may be a bit vague)

• mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I've almost been hit by black cab drivers on Tooley St in the past. I came left from London Br once, Tooley St starts going downhill from there and a black cab suddenly threw a U in front of me coming uphill from the other way. I slammed the brakes on and managed to stop. Another time a black cab past me and then immediately pulled in to pick up a fare forcing me to make a choice - either slam into the back of him or jump onto the pavement. I chose the latter option and ended up almost smacking straight into the fare the cab had stopped for. Shouted at the cabbie but he just shouted back at me as thought it was my fault! Bloody loonies some of them, not quite as bad as some minicabs but not that far off!

The top end of Tooley street is a nightmare. In the morning coming down from London Bridge it is full of kamikaze peds and drivers doing last minute turns near London Bridge Hospital. In the evening the kamikaze peds are even worse. Trying to get through the section outside the station without a near miss is nigh on impossible. I tend to ride v. slowly and adopt a zen attitude until I get through this bit.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1