Choosing bike number 2....on C2W

roundthebend
roundthebend Posts: 205
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
EDIT: typo - I don't intend to choo a new bike.

Some of you may recall my previous threads....if not, here's a quick summary.

Commute is 3 miles each way. Been using a 13 year old Carrera MTB all seasons and done minimal maintenance. Decided to buy a new bike for the summer and grabbed a very good bargain in a Muddy Fox Milano Hybrid for £160 from Argos.

Now my employer has finally launched a C2W scheme for a 2 month trial period.

Should I get a bike for winter? - e.g. another MTB that will have better grip in the wet and snow, and also better brakes (caliper brakes on the hybrid are scary when wet). A new MTB appeals because I like to go on rides with the wife and kids and my hybrid doesn't do dirt tracks so well.

Should I get a road bike and use the hybrid for nicer winter days, and the old MTB as a hack for poor weather?

Should I just not bother with C2W and use the hybrid for summer and the old MTB for bad weather? Certainly a cheaper option and no storage nightmare. And no problem if I change employer (a pretty reasonable possibility).

Basically, what type of bike would you go for?

Comments

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I will be in a similar position come Feb regarding the n+1 rule. I have a MTB for winter commuting. A hack bike for going to the shops and town. A lovely road bike for summer commuting. So I obviously need to buy a fixed bike on C2W for summer commuting to save my road bike for best.... I intend to have a go on a Pearson Touche, but if I would you what about a road bike for some summer fun? Like the look of the Wiggle Verenti Kilmeston as well....
  • roundthebend
    Perhaps I should include a budget. I'm not the sort to go out for a few hours cycling on the roads in lycra, it's very much a leisure and pleasure pastime for me. I love my commute of 3 miles and would probably be happy with up to 10 miles of commuting, but I have no interest in races or trying to beat my speed record.

Also my income is tiny, so I think that I'd look at maybe £30 per month for 12 months as an upper limit on the scheme. I think that would allow me somewhere in the region of £450 - £500 for the bike and acessories.
  • roundthebend
    Bit concerned at the lack of replies.....have I not given sufficient info?
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I think it's not really clear what your objectives are.

You seem to have a bike that will suit your commute even in winter. However, if you'd like to get another bike then go for it, but what sort of bike do you fancy?

I personally would not get a better MTB as you already have one. I'd get something different but you don't have to wear lycra :wink:

So decide a little bit on what you want to use the C2W for....that will help people reply. I thought I replied saying on the basis of your post I'd get a different type of bike i.e. a road bike, but then you replied saying that wasn't for you... so confused....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Sounds like you have bases covered already.

It's not a really long commute so you don't *need* a road bike. You could use the hybrid for nice weather, mtb for bad. So that's all the necessities sorted.

Are you looking for an excuse to get a new bike? If so then you could get either a road or SS for nice days, put bigger tyres and mudguards on the hybrid and use that for bad weather and leave the mtb for blizzards?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kon ... e-ec017275

Sure others will have preferences for a decent road/SS around £500, there are plenty. If it's C2W then is it Halfords only? Boardman?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • roundthebend
    Oh I didn't mean to rubbish your suggestion of a road bike. I'd quite like one but won't use it for anything other than my commute (which isn't much on the road anyway) and it won't offer much more than my hybrid does.

I do think that the hybrid will be OK for winter, but it'll shorten its lifespan somewhat unless I maintain it properly.

My old MTB is a bit of a wreck. I can only ever see me using it for really bad weather days, but it's currently sitting in the garden exposed to the elements so it's probably not going to be roadworthy by then.

So, either I get a C2W bike for winter and use the hybrid in summer. Or, I get a C2W bike for summer and use the hybrid in winter.

The other factor I'm considering is that I like to go on family bike rides, but the hybrid doesn't like going on anything too bumpy. I'm leaning towards a chunkier bike for that purpose also.

I could always just sell my hybrid and get a bike for all weathers commuting.

Or, I could just not do the C2W scheme.
  • roundthebend
    The C2W is run by CycleScheme so some good LBSs are available. I don't believe Halfords is, which is something of a shame as I'd like to consider a Carrera Subway.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have a decent LBS go and have a look around, mine have a few 'interesting' options in among the more regular stuff such as a nice steel retro SS and a dedicated commuter (hub gears, hub roller brakes) and some somewhat left field hybrids as almost anything will do your commute, you really have a massive choice of what you could get.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    The C2W is run by CycleScheme so some good LBSs are available. I don't believe Halfords is, which is something of a shame as I'd like to consider a Carrera Subway.

If you like the idea of a steel MTB framed hybrid, look at the Kona Smoke. It's got 700 wheels, a brilliantly comfortable frame, mudguards as stock and rack fittings.

Bit cheap for the C2W, to be honest, as you can get them new on eBay for £200 delivered, as opposed to £310 on Wiggle. I'd treat myself to something nicer than either of those as the savings on a more expensive bike tend to be better than a sales or eBay could offer.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Oh I didn't mean to rubbish your suggestion of a road bike. I'd quite like one but won't use it for anything other than my commute

So why not get out and ride more? :D
    I could always just sell my hybrid and get a bike for all weathers commuting.

I'd seriously consider this. Get yourself a new MTB with good components and some semi-slick tyres. Put the slicks on when commuting and if you do go for family rides (off road?) put the original tyres back on again. When the winter comes around and if we get snow again you can always use the MTB tyres for extra grip.
    Steve C