London to Monaco

wyndinho
wyndinho Posts: 2
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
4 of us are planning a trip for charity from london to the Principlaity for 2 weeks in August. Does anyone know a good route?

I've googleised the route and come up with the below but not sure on terrain.

To give you some context we are entry level riders who want nice scenic routes over hard core zig zag climbing. We leave London on Sat 14th Aug and want to get to Mobaco on or before Sat 28th Aug.

London to Dover
Calais to Houdain
Houdain to Peronne
Peronne to soissons
Soissons to Sezanne
Sezanne to Chaource
Chaource to Baigneux-les-juifs
Baigneux-les-juifs to Seurre
Seurre to Bourg en Bresse
Bourg en Bresse to Chambery
Chambery to La Mure
La Mure to Gap
Gap to Digne les Bains
Digne Les Bains to Grasse
Calais to Houdain
Houdain to Peronne
Peronne to soissons
Soissons to Sezanne
Sezanne to Chaource
Chaource to Baigneux-les-juifs
Baigneux-les-juifs to Seurre
Seurre to Bourg en Bresse
Bourg en Bresse to Chambery
Chambery to La Mure
La Mure to Gap
Gap to Digne les Bains
Digne Les Bains to Grasse

Comments

• cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    You've obviously duplicated the list, but I wonder if this is all a bit much in two weeks. Gap is in the Alps! If I were you, I would think about getting a train to cut out some of the less interesting parts and enjoy the other bits more... going at a steady pace.

Instead of Gap, you could ride further west down towards the coast and do more of the shoreline.

I did a ride last year. There are some photos and maps etc here...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=R ... =6304&v=kF
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I use Google Maps walking directions to plot out a basic route. You can get an idea of where the mountains are by looking at the terrain mode. Also look for rivers to follow if you want flat. When I have a general idea plotting it again in www.ridewithgps.com will give you an elevation profile.

If you want to avoid hills certainly avoid Gap! Also bear in mind there are other mountains in France which while not as bad as the Alps are still tougher than anything common in England. Something like this might be a good basis for a start. I use a Garmin Edge 705 and find it invaluable if you want to take a complex route off main roads.

I'm suggesting that route as a pure cycling option; I can't speak for the cultural value other than Avignon and Aix-en-Provence which are well worth visiting. I cycled across the route in Champagne last month heading east, picturesque part of the world but then most of France is.

As cycledelic says that is not to be sniffed at at all if you are entry level riders but it might be just about doable. More so if you just skipped the English bit and started in Calais. A lot easier if you are supported with a van carrying your bags. Rule of thumb take a third off the unloaded bike distance if you are carrying your own stuff.