James Cracknell and Ben Fogle to ride the tour divide

Glynnd111
Glynnd111 Posts: 169
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Not sure if this has been posted but though people might be interested

The Tour Divide is the world’s longest off-road bike race. At 2745 miles (4418 km) long and the mountainous route is the equivalent of climbing Everest seven times to and from sea level.

Ben and James have previously crossed the Atlantic Ocean in a rowing boat in the RTS award-winning Through Hell and High Water, and raced to the South Pole in the crushingly cold Antarctic in On Thin Ice, but this new adventure will challenge them, both physically and mentally, like never before. Although James has some experience on road bikes, neither is yet trained in mountain biking, and Ben is not a cyclist at all.

To add to the pressure, they are attempting to break the current course record and complete the route in less than the current best time of 17 days and 21 hours. This inspirational challenge is no mean feat for mountain biking novices - to beat the record they will have to cover at least 160 miles (257km) every day.

Commenting on why they’re taking on this particular adventure, James Cracknell comments: “As ‘fun’ as the last two challenges were, the scenery in the Atlantic and on the Antarctic Plateau wasn’t that varied so the chance to see the Rockies on a bike whilst pushing hard and seeing how close we can get to the record is an irresistible combination.”

The route starts in Banff, Canada, and traverses the Rockies along the Continental Divide, which is the watershed between the Pacific on the West Coast and the Atlantic on the East Coast. But although being an unbelievably arduous physical feat, the bigger test is likely to be maintaining the mental stamina required.

Talking about the expedition, Ben Fogle said: “I love a challenge, but as a cycling novice this is a huge test and could well prove to be the toughest yet. In training, I’ve already had broken fingers and black eyes and I’ve yet to step foot in the Rockies!”

To attempt to beat the current world record, they must race unsupported so there will be no back up team alongside them with equipment or supplies. They must carry everything they need on their bikes, including all their camera equipment, but they are allowed to send supplies to pre-arranged locations to pick up en route.

The challenge of handling the unending miles ahead cannot be underestimated and will undoubtedly put a strain on their personal relationship. The experience of their other expeditions has shown them that team work is the key to success, and in this adventure it is going to be more important than ever.

The production crew behind both their previous adventures will film their training and shadow them where possible during the record attempt which Ben and James plan to start in August 2010.

BBC Executive Producer, Lisa Edwards, commented: “We’re delighted that James and Ben are returning to BBC Two with another inspirational challenge which, as their previous series’ have done, is sure to keep viewers enthralled.”

“It’s really exciting to be working with Ben and James again on a third world-beating adventure,” said Melanie Leach, Twofour’s Executive Producer. “We have followed them over the sea and ice, and watched in awe as their grit, determination and good humour has seen them through. This cycle race will test them to the limits and it will be fascinating to see how their relationship develops as they chase yet another record.”

Hmm respect is due i think

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Fair play to them, I just can't see them breaking the record though.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    JC doesn't think he'll do the record as they will have to do filming. Having ridden with JC, Fogle must have guts, because JC is a v strong rider. Both need to get up to speed with bike maintenance though....
  • njee20
    He may be strong, but he's still a non-cyclist though, and that takes serious commitment. The extra weight of the camera equipment alone is going to be a pain!
  • Glynnd111
    Not sure if they are doing it on these bikes or there just for training be interested to know what they were doing it on as they have to carry all there equipment ?

http://img195.imageshack.us/i/benjamess ... way44.jpg/][IMg][/img]
  • This years TD is still in progress and I can wholly recommend a visit to the official TD website ( tourdivide.org ) and listen / watch some of the race updates.

British rider Aidan Harding finished in a very impressive time of 19 days, 14 hours and 12 minutes. That’s fourth overall and first singlespeed rider this year, as well as fastest finish by a BRITISH rider in the Tour Divide.

I wonder how many more Brits would be tempted after the show is aired ?
  • njee20
    Aidan lost a lot of time early on too, with tyre troubles. His blog is worth a read.
  • Glynnd111
    Im surprised that this isnt on the front page.

Maybe its not front page worthy i think it is but any kind of publicity for mountain biking is always good and when was the last time you saw anything mountain bike related on the BBC even if its BBC2 lol.
  • njee20
    It came out weeks ago though, was it not up there then?
  • Glynnd111
    Maybe but hard to say ive not seen anything and i look on here everyday.

I only heard about it yesterday after ben was on the 5 oclock show :oops:

But then it wasnt mentioned alot ?
  • James Cracknell has been knocked off of his bike by a Truck in the US and suffered a skull fracture (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-10728094) Plans for the TD have understandably been put on hold. Let's hope he has a speedy recovery.
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Every time I see James Cracknell....... I want to punch him square in the face.
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    JonnyN wrote:
    Every time I see James Cracknell....... I want to punch him square in the face.

You don't drive a truck by any chance? :twisted:
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    excelllent! look forward to the seeing the coverage. I've been reading this- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Wheels-My-Wagon-Adventure/dp/1845965612 which is one guys account of tackling the Tour Divide.Sounds like a beast of a challenge. Fair play to em!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!