Chain catches when pedalling backwards...?!

lastant
lastant Posts: 526
edited July 2010 in The workshop
I had a problem with my freehub recently, in that it gave up the ghost. Sent it off to the LBS who fixed it under warranty, but since coming back I've noticed a new problem.

Pedalling normally is fine, but if I need to turn the cranks backwards (say at a junction after stopping to get a decent purchase when setting off) then the chain doesn't 'flow' as it once did. The rear deraulier pulls up slightly and the top of the chain slackens...usually rubbing in between the frame and the bike.

If I carry on backwards it'll eventually click and roll on, but catches again within a quarter of a turn or so. It seems to be fine if I pedal backwards as the bike is moving, bizarrely.

Any ideas?!
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    May be fine tuning of the rear mech that is needed. But some combos, where the chain is at an angle, this can happen.
  • legin
    legin Posts: 132
    i had my rear hub rebuilt and had same problem.measured my chain and it had stretched.put a new one on and all is fine.if its not that check for a bent derailer,bent quick release, stiff link in the chain,bent derailer hanger or the cassette is on tight.failing that it may be the hub settling in and to much grease inside it.if its none of the above take it back to the shop,perhaps a pawl has come losse.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    legin wrote:
    i had my rear hub rebuilt and had same problem.measured my chain and it had stretched.put a new one on and all is fine.if its not that check for a bent derailer,bent quick release, stiff link in the chain,bent derailer hanger or the cassette is on tight.failing that it may be the hub settling in and to much grease inside it.if its none of the above take it back to the shop,perhaps a pawl has come losse.

Forgot to add that I'd had the crankset and cassette replaced around a hundred miles previous to the service and had just put a new chain on when I noticed.

It appears to have worked itself out today, although there's a fair amount of black grease on the cassette and spattered on the frame opposite - guess that's what they've used to fix the freehub and it'll clean itself out over time?
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    New chain, much stiffer and much more prone to problems when pedaling backwards - the importance of the full story, a small amount of 'bedding in' improves its flexibility no end and reduces the issues.

I'd clean the grease off, any dust that gets in the grease forms a nice grinding paste to trash your drivetrain!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    Sounds like it was the freehub acting up. I'd take it back to lbs to have it checked over. Probably just a small adjustment needed, but if you leave it, it might well get worse and cause more damage etc. Had a similar problem recently, that kept seeming to "fix itself" until the freehub completely caved in.
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Rear hub or free hub is knackered, sorry
  • my friend has this problem and the cause is a loose and damaged jokey wheel on his derailiuer, pretty easy to spot when you look at it while spinning the cranks the wrong way and cheap and easy to fix! hope that helps, the alternative diagnosis' look more terminal
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!