Stolen bike - happy ending :)

KonaKula09
KonaKula09 Posts: 23
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Hey guys I recently had my Kona Kula stolen, it was locked up outside Asda in Peterborough and when I came out of there it was gone.
Been really gutted about it, im sure loads of you know the feeling of getting a bike nicked.

Anyway last monday I saw it advertised on ebay, couldn't believe it! The last week ive been chasing it all up with the police. Been a lot of hassle ringing them up and not really getting anywhere, I rang them on tuesday mornng and they told me they would get in touch with ebay and it would normally take a couple of days for ebay to get an address.
When I spoke to the pc on saturday it turned out that they hadn't even been in touch with ebay even though id rung the police up a few times during the week. The relevant department doesn't work at the weekend as well!

My brother asked the seller if it was possible to view the bike but got no reply. My other brother with a different ebay account put a maximum bid on it of £800 and on sunday night we won it for £670. Said we would pay cash on collection, asked for his address. He gave a landline phone number and then yesterday his mobile number. My bro rang him up yesterday afternoon to arrange "collection" of the bike and I arranged with the police to go round with them.

So at 8.30 this morning I went round to the address with the police and waited in the car while they paid him a visit. 10 minutes later they came out with my bike! I identified it, I had a list of about 13 things that I had changed on the bike. Stuff like red grips, big chain ring taken off, red brake pads, seat quick release, dmr v12 black pedals. The guy had removed the speedo I had on there but you could still make out where it had worn away the handlebar paint., also he had taken a sticker off but you could still make out where it had been.

He has been arrested and my bike is seized by the police untill he is charged etc. Hope hes having a nice day being interviewed hahahahahaha

Unfortunately I had ordered a new bike before I saw this on ebay, got a 2008 Kona Kula Deluxe from paulscycles, its bloody gorgeous! :)

I will be selling the Kona Kula 2009 on ebay when I get it back, don't need two of them! Look out for it if your interested.
Hope this gives those still looking for stolen bikes some hope!

Comments

• Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    Good job but shame you had to do all the leg work for the cops :evil:
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    :-)

Cracking Story.

Though it wouldve ended nicer with,

So at 08:30 we sat in the car while the police paid him a visit, 10 mins later they came out with my bike. They then called us over from the car and instisted that they turn a blind eye while we D'Lock him to near death in his front room. We then had a nice communial laugh at the offender before carting him off to the cells.

Unfortunately I brought an Orange Crush, its bloody gorgeous! :-)....................
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Always nice to hear a success story, nice work and congrats!

Hopefully somebody will make full use of the theiving scummers a-hole whilst he rots in his cell! :twisted:
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Great ending.

Nice detective work - shame the detectives didn't do it.... :roll:
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Great story BUT only part of it. I hope you get it back.

I also hope he does it again and someone else does the leg work and he gets a lock or more over his head.
    Got an eBay link to your bike that was 'sold' to you? EDIT No on second thoughts don't do that as it may prejudice any criminal charge.

Stolen in Peterbrough and sold from Peterbrough...... thick as - how long was delay between stolen and listed?

You have found a nice account there - likes his mobile phones and I see another Kona.... Hope you point this out to the police as they are not always that clever.
  • I love the smell of criminals being arrested in the morning
    Earn Cashback @ Wiggle, CRC, Evans, AW Cycles, Alpine Bikes, ProBikeKit, Cycles UK :

http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/stewartmead
  • KonaKula09
    KonaKula09 Posts: 23
    Stolen in Peterbrough and sold from Peterbrough...... thick as - how long was delay between stolen and listed?

Yeah it wasn't the wisest place to sell it, not many bikes like that round here. It was stolen on 17th june and on ebay 29th, a quick turn around. Brilliant to get it back at all and so quickly especially.
    Hope its not to long for the police/court to sort things out and me to get the bike back from them. It depends how he pleads.
    You have found a nice account there - likes his mobile phones and I see another Kona.... Hope you point this out to the police as they are not always that clever.
    Yeah he has so much dodgy stuff sold on his account, he seems to get through a lot of phones, games, ipods and bikes. Kona Stinky Deluxe sold for under £500 anyone!? I mentioned it to the police.

Yeah I feel like ive done all the detective work, found the bike on ebay, won it and got the address after my bro phoned him. Guess the police are just so busy, glad they acted on it though.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    With the added bonus of knowing where the scumbag lives, if you know what I mean :wink:

Why insurance companies don't have fixers for these sort of things I don't know.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    What a scumbag, good work getting him nicked and getting your bike back :) people like him should be locked up.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Heart warming story. Hope the arrest leads to more than a telling off.
  • Silversladey
    Silversladey Posts: 450
    Awesome work Columbo hope he gets time instead of Community service.

great result :D
  • mattyg2004
    mattyg2004 Posts: 196
    Just found the sale.

How come you've not left feedback yet.lol

Oh and congrats on catching the scumbag.