Slime Tubes

paulbox
paulbox Posts: 1,203
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I popped in to Halfrauds last night to pick up a couple of spare tubes and decided to give the slime filled tubes a go. Swapped them out last night, bike didn't feel any different this morning...

Anybody got any experience of using these?

Effective or waste of money???

Bike is a GT hardtail MB with Schwalbe City Jet tyres fitted
XC: Giant Anthem X
Fun: Yeti SB66
Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    waste of money, don't seal decent sized holes and tend to make a huge sticky mess, not to mention you cannot puncture them.

If you want sealant and to absolutely prevent punctures use a relatively puncture proof tyre run tubeless. Or just run tubeless.
  • paulbox
    Bugger... :lol:

Thanks though, I'll run them until they need replacing.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    heavy and not at all effective
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    bought two of them and both of them are in the bin! the slime meant that the valve wouldn't close and thus seal properly, so they kept going flat
  • paulbox
    I might get the boxes out of the bin and take them back... :wink:
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    i was a newbie a year ago. tried to rum gatorskins with slime. kind of worked but still got weekly punctures all through last winter. have just put marathon pluses on and i have not had a puncture in six months. no slime. i should have known, towards the end of last winter i was helped out by a seasoned cyclist (in his sixties) when i had a puncture. he had mps on. didnt think anything of it till i thought back and realised he didnt help me cos his pump didnt work and he had no punture kit. i think when you use mps thats kinda what happens .....punctures? What punctures?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    going to tempt fate here but I've been running Gators and Conti's for the last 5 months; one visit so far but that was because I cycled over the shale outside the office.

What are you cycling on to get so many punctures? off road / cycle tracks / canal paths?
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    waste of money, don't seal decent sized holes and tend to make a huge sticky mess, not to mention you cannot puncture them.

If you want sealant and to absolutely prevent punctures use a relatively puncture proof tyre run tubeless. Or just run tubeless.

:?:

You can get tubeless tyres for bikes?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945

:?:

You can get tubeless tyres for bikes?
    Yeah, generally need special rims, though. They lose pressure reasonably quickly, too, akin to latex tubes
    Edit: eg: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Hutch ... 360050116/
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    I run slime tubes on two bikes, and gators on one. Touch wood, I've not had a puncture in a couple of years.
  • wyadvd
    yeah stupid cycle track made of crushed granite of all things!
  • wyadvd
    yeah stupid cycle track made of crushed granite of all things!