Bar End Caps

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I need a solution. For some reason I keep losing the bar end cap things that stop the bar tape unravelling. I don't know where they go, they just keep dropping out. Perhaps I'm travelling so fast that they are being dragged out by the wind as it whistles round my bars. Who knows. Anyway, short of gluing them in, does anyone know if it's possible toget ones that screw in or something? I'm tired of spending £1.99 every week to buy new caps...
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    There are mountain bike ones that fix in with an allen bolt (Hope make nice shiney ones). They would probably do you (assuming that the bars are the same diameter.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mc/cycle/7/Hope/Bar_Ends/?referid=googwig&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=hope%20bar&utm_campaign=Hope
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    I have these (in red), which work a treat, but (as Paulbox says) I think they are made for MTBs or flat bars, and on drops the diameter is slightly wider than the taped bars, so there is a small lip
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1219
  • Headhuunter
    They look good. Just wondering if they would fit road bike bars
  • Headhuunter
    Ian.B wrote:
    I have these (in red), which work a treat, but (as Paulbox says) I think they are made for MTBs or flat bars, and on drops the diameter is slightly wider than the taped bars, so there is a small lip
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1219

So have you got them fitted to road bike bars?
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Yes
  • Headhuunter
    Ian.B wrote:
    Yes

OK, cheers
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I got some with my most recent pack of bar tape that were much tighter fitting, and longer. They haven't fallen out yet, and I generally lost them pretty quickly.

I don't replace them, though.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Best solution is just to wrap some PVC tape around the plugs to make them a tighter fit.

I used to do that, now I use champagne corks on my commuter. True. :lol:
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Champagne cork fresh out of the bottle. It will expand with time and stay put :wink:
  • Headhuunter
    Hmm. Better get some Krug in then... Or does Cristal do a better job?
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Hmm. Better get some Krug in then...

Just get 2 bottle of Cava and spend the rest on Stella. Looks the same but if you drink the Stella first you won't stop laughing at how cool your bike looks with corks.
  • nielsamd
    nielsamd Posts: 174
    I think I recall someone here or elsewhere describing tieing the two ends together with string or wire passing through the bars, to avoid chronic loss.
    I tried passing a wire (to guide some string) through my road bars but the double bends defeated the process. Perhaps if I use brake/gear cable instead of gardening wire! :lol:
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Maybe you just need to feed more bar tape into the end of handlebar when you start wrapping to get a tighter fit. I have to really force the plugs in when I change my bar tape and have never encountered a problem with losing them. The pvc tape solution also works if they're a bit loose.
  • http://www.muckynutz.com/index.php?rout ... duct_id=65

^^ and when you have drunk the Stella you can re cycle the tops....

:D
    Stuff I have designed
    www.muckynutz.com
  • Headhuunter
    kelsen wrote:
    Maybe you just need to feed more bar tape into the end of handlebar when you start wrapping to get a tighter fit. I have to really force the plugs in when I change my bar tape and have never encountered a problem with losing them. The pvc tape solution also works if they're a bit loose.

There's a fair amount of bar tape tucked in and the fit seems quite tight but somehow they go missing. Perhaps the puncture fairy's lesser known friend, the bar end cap pixie has been at work...
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Ritchey pro tape comes with bar ends that have the same allen key bolt as described above. Think that the last lot I bought from Wiggle cost a tenner, or thereabouts. Seems to work well.