Tyre size for commuting tyres

Anonymouslemming
Anonymouslemming Posts: 59
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

I have a boardman mountain bike from Halfords, and I'm going to be using it to commute a lot more in the future, so I'd like to change the tyres to something far less knobbly. I don't really understand bicycle tyre sizing though.

The current tyres are Continental and the size is 26x2.1

I've been looking at the Continental website, and I can't find any of the tyres that I like the look of in this size. The Grand Prix (http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20grand%20prix%20mtb.shtml) come in a 26x1.2 - I assume that these will be no good ?

Can anyone please advise what a decent tyre for this size wheel is for day-to-day commuting and a little weekend riding.

--
Those who dance appear insane to those who can\'t hear the music

Comments

• pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    You need to check what your rims will allow. My front MTB wheel won't take smaller than 1.75 and the rear 1.5.
  • Ah, thanks - I assume that means I need to check the rims, not the tyre... I'll go do that, but I don't remember seeing any markings on them...
    --
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    10 Tyres = Not Purchased

20 Go to LBS, if Tyres = Purchased get refund

30 Ask it to sell you slick tyres that fit your rims

35 Tyres = Purchased

40 If tyres don't fit rims then goto 20

50 Riiiide!
  • My nearest LBS is Evans in the Wharf, and I've had some issues, so I was hoping to buy online - I also have an Amazon voucher I was hoping to use :D

Looks like I'll need to take it in somewhere though - the rims look a lot narrower than the tyres, but I have no idea _how_ much and there are no markings on them anywhere to indicate suitable tyre sizes.
    --
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Try looking up the wheels online if you know the make/model as the manufacturer might display the info.

If you went for 1.75 you're unlikely to have any issue, I think it's just when you get to the narrower ones where there might be a problem.

edit: the markings might actually be stamped inside the rim....
  • pastryboy wrote:
    Try looking up the wheels online if you know the make/model as the manufacturer might display the info.

If you went for 1.75 you're unlikely to have any issue, I think it's just when you get to the narrower ones where there might be a problem.

Thanks - the wheels are Ritchey DiscOCR, and I've had a look online without finding anything useful. I've also just realised that I'll probably have to change the tube as well (showing my ignorance some more), so I've just whipped the tyres off and I'll take them to work with me tomorrow and get some answers :D

Thanks all :D
    --
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    They look pretty good to me. They inflate to 120 PSI so they should have a really low rolling resistance.

I'd say with tyres like this yer limiting factor is probably your riding position in terms of speed and distance.

HTH

Edit:

Ooh. Just noticed how narrow the wheels are. Could be a problem for normal rims there as mentioned above. According to the bible:- http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html

You can probably just about go to 19mm width on the rims (the size should be printed on the rim). I think it might be a little small.
  • Thanks all - apparently I can get a 26x1.5 on there, so I'm shopping for a pair now :D
    --
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I got schwalbe city jet 26 x 1.5 on my mtb and they fit fine
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    dugliss wrote:
    I got schwalbe city jet 26 x 1.5 on my mtb and they fit fine

+1

I think the Schwalbe's roll really well. I was free-wheeling down a hill behind a guy on a road bike this morning, he was pedalling and I was catching him.

I bought some Continentals which were a little narrower and couldn't get them on the rims (even without tubes!).
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    Definitely agree with that paulbox, my £150 Giant was catching up with a fella on a roadbike on the way down from Ditchling Beacon. Shame it wasn`t so good going up the hill :oops: