Bike cleaning advice

IDave
IDave Posts: 223
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
What is the best way to clean your bike?

Is it ok to use the jet wash at a petrol station?

I don't have access to a hose as I live in a block of flats.

Also should you clean your bike after every ride?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    try the link at the bottom of the page

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... bike-18259
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    So is the Jet Wash a no go then?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Water and chemical cleaners are the MTB equivalent of the Anti-Christ. I have cleaned my Rize three times this year and it runs like a Swiss watch. Providing the drivetrain is clean (avoid getting it dirty by using dry lube) and the suspension sliders are clean, there's nothing else to do.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I do the following

1. wash off with a hose avoiding directly spraying any bearing looking bits
    2. cover in muc-off or similar bike cleaner
    3. clean with a sponge top to bottom
    4. Dry off with a cloth
    5. relube and stuff

I use dry lube but have one of those park tools thingies for cleaning the chain and do this every so often
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    What is the best way to clean your bike? - What t0pc4t suggests pretty much covers it. I don't always use a cleaning product on mine, just some warm water and a bit of effort.

Is it ok to use the jet wash at a petrol station? - yes but stick to tyres, frame, seat. No bearing blasting or they'll be grinding away in no time.

I don't have access to a hose as I live in a block of flats. - nothing wrong with washing from a bucket :) I have a 2l garden sprayer which pumps up. I use that to pre-soak (and get a bit of mud off), wash the bike with bucket and sponge then sprayer to rinse.

Also should you clean your bike after every ride? - I personally don't see the need but it does depend on how often you use it. If your riding weekly i'd say clean it but if your out every few days then a full wash each ride mite be other the top
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    My one bit of advice would be to clean your gears first, i use muc off degreaser, on cassette, chain and chainrings, this sprays the old oil onto the frame and rims, so do this first, i find the dry lube comes off and makes a mess on paintwork so be aware if you do this! I do this once every 5 rides maybe otherwise i just do the normal routine as above.

Make sure that with dry lube you get it on the all the gears/chainrings evenly and allow 3+ hours for it to dry, longer in winter!

RE jetwash, use the lance say 12-15 inches from bike or use spot free rinse option as this is lower pressure!

Poundland toothbrushes and washing up brushes can be very useful i have a washing up brush where the ends are ultra soft, works brilliantly if your worried about scratching your framework, which im not!

Moggy