Newbie saying hello

djgorey
djgorey Posts: 15
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all

Just thought I'd say hi from a beautifully sunny S Wales.

Although I used to cycle everywhere when I was younger, I'm just about to get back in to it again for commuting as my firm does the c2w scheme (as soon as I've passed probation). I was going to wait until I got my new bike, but decided instead to borrow my dad's 15 old Raleigh mountain bike and start with that until I get my new bike in a couple of months.

I have to admit that after riding it around my estate, I'm not particularly looking forward to the buttock, arm and leg ache that I will invariably suffer tomorrow, but am looking forward to being back on a bike.

I'm looking forward to being an active member of the forum as I have been with my other passions (PA and SAABs) and learning lots from other, more experienced riders.

The first decision I've got to make is whether to go for drop bars or flat. I'm looking to probably go for the Trek FX 7.5 or the Trek 1.2 (although suggestions welcome), but am not sure about drop bars.

The reason I'm not sure is that, apart from commuting, I'm almost certainly going to be weekend riding as well and I like speed! At the moment, my thoughts are to have a test of both and as long as drop bars aren't totally alien, then go for it. The other option is to go for flat bars and then get a set of aero-bars to clamp on for when I want a more stretched out position. As you can probably tell, I am not too experienced in 'proper' cycling!

Anyway, that's me and I look forward to chatting and sharing stories!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Welcome to the mad house.....

If you are in any doubt, get drops, many people who start on flats then go to drops, few go the other way (Although I use flats and am quite happy on them and unlikley to change!).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,187
    djgorey wrote:
    The first decision I've got to make is whether to go for drop bars or flat. I'm looking to probably go for the Trek FX 7.5 or the Trek 1.2 (although suggestions welcome), but am not sure about drop bars.

The reason I'm not sure is that, apart from commuting, I'm almost certainly going to be weekend riding as well and I like speed! At the moment, my thoughts are to have a test of both and as long as drop bars aren't totally alien, then go for it. The other option is to go for flat bars and then get a set of aero-bars to clamp on for when I want a more stretched out position. As you can probably tell, I am not too experienced in 'proper' cycling!

Anyway, that's me and I look forward to chatting and sharing stories!
    Welcome :)

There's plenty of disucssion on drops vs flats on this forum - a quick search should throw up a few opinions...but you are right, try them for yourself it's a personal thing.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited July 2010
    Welcome! I think you've got exactly the right attitude re drops, try them, they're bound to feel a little weird at first, but if they're not completely 'oh my lord this is terrifying' go for it...

As mentioned above, few people go from drops to flats, lots go the other way!

EDIT: I like saabs, I have 2!
  • Just get two bikes, one with each and toss a coin each day :o)

Welcome to the forums :D
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Spend some time reading up on riding position. Making sure the saddle's at the right height and in the correct (for you) position makes a massive difference. You shouldn't suffer excessive muscular discomfort after cycling if you're doing it right.

And don't try to push to high a gear, if you find yourself doing less than one pedal revolution a second change down a gear.

(I like the old SAABs, make mine a 99 Turbo please).
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    DROPS!
    and... welcome :)
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    welcome aboard

Greg