Disc brake replacement

frazer1981
frazer1981 Posts: 7
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi there

I recently brought myself a second hand bike as i wanna start doing this more.

I got a newish apollo fs.26 which i understand may not be the best but seems like a good starter for me and i can build (and save up) towards a better bike etc

But anyways, my disc brakes at the front appear to need replacing, well the pads do! 2 Questions, 1, can i do this myself easily enough and 2, where can i buy these pads from?!

Thanks for the help in advance!!

:D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They should be replacable yes - try your local Halfords.
  • hi

Yeah i have heard they are fairly expensive but maybe thats the downside of buying one of the bikes?

I was wondering if i could do it myself or is it not worth the hassle!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You need to find out what pads though - on a bike like this, only Halfords might know.
  • ahh i see

they have 'tektro' on them so that maybe the brand
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    theyre prob tektro io
  • ric7481
    ric7481 Posts: 103
    Should be able to do it yourself - no hassle...apollo is halfords brand, so most likely to get correct pads from them - alternatively take your old pads into your lbs for them to match up.

Search the web / buy the Park Tools big blue book of bike repair - will help you out with lots of jobs as time goes on.......£50 on a basic toolkit and £20 on a manual is money well spent if you want to do the work yourself.

Above all - have fun and enjoy your riding :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pads will normally cost about £8-12 a set, remove the front wheel and on most tektro the pad will just pull out, you can then compare its shape to those advertised on ebay etc!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.